Philips' 43-inch Momentum monitor is the first to carry DisplayHDR 1000 certification

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Philips on Tuesday became the first monitor manufacturer to announce a display carrying VESA’s DisplayHDR 1000 certification.

The Philips Momentum 43-inch 4K HDR Quantum Dot Monitor (436M6VBPAB) features a diagonal screen size of 42.51 inches and a 4K UHD resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 pixels @ 60Hz (16:9 aspect ratio, 103.64 PPI). It boasts a 4ms gray-to-gray response time, a contrast ratio of 4,000:1 and 178-degree viewing angles.

DisplayHDR from VESA is the industry’s first fully open standard specifying HDR quality and stretches across three performance tiers – DisplayHDR 400, DisplayHDR 600 and DisplayHDR 1000 – that correlate to luminance. Philips’ latest offers a peak brightness of 1,000 cd/m² (the typical brightness is rated at 720 nits) and is said to offer a wider range of more accurate colors – especially dark reds and greens – that remain crisp and clear even in bright environments.

The Philips Momentum 43-inch also utilizes Ambiglow, a background lighting technology that you’ve probably seen offered on televisions in recent years. According to Philips, it uses a “fast internal processor” to analyze incoming image content and adjusts the color and brightness of the background glow accordingly.

Connectivity-wise, you’re looking at one HDMI 2.0 port, a DisplayPort 1.2 port and a mini DisplaPort 1.2 port as well as a USB Type-C connection and two USB 3.0 ports.

The Philips Momentum 43-inch 4K HDR Quantum Dot Monitor is scheduled to arrive sometime this summer priced at $999.99.

Permalink to story.

$999/£717

For a 40" monitor that pretty much does the same as my £550 55" 4K LG TV?

Seems rather silly.

@ 60Hz ???? Am I missing something here?

Commercial grade displays are generally higher quality than consumers televisions. They boast better color accuracy and can operate for much longer times without overheating or needing to be power cycled.

For example, as a broadcaster, we had a 4K Samsung television that we used in conjunction with a multiviewer so that I could control 5 robotic cameras at a time. It was awful. We suffered consistent flickering and eventually replaced it with a commercial grade LG display. No more issues.

that any consumer grade 4k tv that boasts 120hz is pretty much lying?
that any consumer grade 4k tv that boasts 120hz is pretty much lying?

There are maybe less than 5 in total that have the input circuitry that can accept a 120htz signal 99% of the market is 60htz with post processing that adds additional latency.

Back