Philips is piloting a connected retail lighting system to take on Apple's iBeacon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Philips is testing a new connected retail lighting system capable of communicating with shoppers via their smartphones. The idea is similar to Apple’s iBeacon and others in that it will deliver targeted offers and other information based on a user's location.

Let’s say you’re in the supermarket and are planning to cook dinner for your significant other. You have a list of ingredients that need to be purchased but perhaps you don’t where everything is in the store. Simply select the ingredients you need in the accompanying app.

The light fixture above will detect your location and give you directions around the store to gather each ingredient. Along the way, the app may provide coupons for items you are purchasing or even offer up a suggestion for a dessert based on what you are making for dinner.

Philips points out that unlike other solutions on the market, retailers won’t need to invest in additional infrastructure to house, power and support location beacons for indoor positioning. Stores obviously need lighting which makes this a natural fit. The company also claims the system will benefit retailers by building customer loyalty and sales.

We’re told that the system is being piloted with select retailers and is being demonstrated at Euroshop, the world’s leading retail show, this week in Düsseldorf. No word yet on when a full rollout might happen or how much the system will cost to deploy, however.

Permalink to story.

This is all really convoluted.

I think Phillips doesn't understand how grocery stores work, or more specifically how grocery store owners work. I know dozens of store owners, I don't think any of them would be interested in something like this.

Another typically useless app to me. I'll simply read the flyer's which always appear in my letterbox, check out the specials then go to the supermarket. I tend to know where things are on the shelves and I certainly don't need an app telling me to spend more money that I don't want or need.

The last place I want to be is in a grocery store. Coupons in the mail are junk to me. If this app allows my wife to text me a list on the way home and the store tells me where to find everything and gives me a discount before I walk out, I'm in!

This is fantastic. I regularly get lost in supermarkets and find the regular arrangement of parallel aisles and the signs above them to be very confusing. I need help ! Not to mention driving a trolley - whoa - they should have some training for that. Maybe this can be included in the app ? Then I could stare at my smartphone 24/7 and never pay attention to the world around me.

Thats the new way to be lost in the grocery
the grocery will cut all the signs pointing you to the needed direction cos they have an app
then your phone battery dies...

Back