Phillips Freevents LX2000

Hi, We have an oldish pc which was preinstalled with Vista Premium. My other half decided that Vista was rubbish and slowed down what should be a very fast machine! So we backed up the drivers and our persoanl stuff, then shoved in a Windows XP Professional OS disk and proceded to instal, formatting the hard drive. Everything went smoothly until we got to instal the drivers. All looked as if they went on ok but then when we rebooted, we got a nice black screen with the messgae system32\drivers\msipsi.sys or something, and we cant get past it, unless we re-instal windows xp again. But we always get the same thing when trying the drivers. Ive looked at the devices, and the audio and wireless dont seem to be there, but it looks like everything else is! and thats before we try to back up drivers!
any adive? is there a program (free) that i can instal that will tell me what drivers are needed and another (free) that i can goto to download them? Or is there something else more sinister???!!

any help would be very much appreciated!

on the one hand you might want to google to find and try DriverEasy to see if it can locate drivers.
All looked as if they went on ok but then when we rebooted, we got a nice black screen with the messgae system32\drivers\msipsi.sys or something, and we cant get past it, unless we re-instal windows xp again. But we always get the same thing when trying the drivers.

Tho i don't quite follow if you get a nice black screen and can't get past it? How do you know what's going on? Or you mean you finally reinstalled without the video driver so you can now see? (P.S If a video driver isn't working, you can hit F8 during boot up to get the Advanced Start options to set VGA mode so Windows will use its generic display drivers by default. So one wouldn't need to reinstall to get past this problem)

Was Vista, now XP

Hi. A couple of thoughts. You saved your Vista drivers off the PC. Did a format of 'C', then installed XP pro. Then installed your Vista drivers, that were saved earlier? If this is the case, then it's your old Vista drivers that don't work with XP. All you need to do is install XP, then you should find the PC works in a basic (VGA) graphic mode. You then need to install the XP drivers via 'Device manager', or as mentioned above, by 'Lookinaround', download the free program 'drivereasy' (www.drivereasy.com), run it, and install the drivers it finds. It can be a slow process, but I have found it to be reliable. Be sure to save those drivers off the PC after it's working again. (A good option is 'Doubledriver' by boozet.net). Hope that is useful.

thanks for the info guys. finally. got into the system by hitting F8 and open a previously working OS.
It is the drivers causing it to crash. the Vista drivers were for the Media Center which dont work on XP.
I now have a fully functioning machine, albeit no dont have a media center :(
Thats my next project to get the media card working on XP if possible!.
This computer has a arial and all that jazz, but now it doesnt work and I dont think it even see's it!
I didnt realise XP Pro would support the Media Center :9 Mind you have reading forums about the Freevents, it seems Vista and the MEdia Center need more than a the 1gb ram and poxy processor installed!

Back