Phone system questions...

By PHATMAN5050 ยท 4 replies
Oct 11, 2004
Post New Reply
  1. I recently purchased a Packet8 Broadband Phone adapter from CompUSA (where I work). What it does is it plugs into my cox high speed internet service, and uses the broadband to make phone calls. The plus side is that it is 20 dollars a month, I get to keep my current qwest phone number, plus I have caller ID, call waiting, and free calls to anywhere in the United States and Canada.

    Here is my problem:

    I currently have Qwest for phone service, and my apartment is already wired for telephone through them. I need to make the phone jack in my bedroom the 'IN' for my entire apartment, so I can plug in a phone to any wall jack in my apartment and have it communicate with the Packet8 broadband phone adapter in my room.

    Here is a little schematic of how the wiring is setup now...

    (Qwest Line) -> Phone Switch on side of apartment -> All the other phone jacks

    I need it like this:

    Bedroom Wallplate -> Phone switch on side of apartment -> All the other phone jacks EXCEPT the one in the bedroom

    Does anybody know how to accomplish this? I called qwest and they gave me some run-around and said something about me calling the building manager and paying 100 dollars for a phone jack install. I'm sure there are 2 sets of 4 wires I need to play with, so this can't be too difficult, I hope. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!
  2. MYOB

    MYOB TS Rookie Posts: 492

    I can't visualise this properly, but it seems you want to use the existing cable, phone switch and cable conduit to let all your current jacks run through the IP telephone, right?

    Its unlikely a PSTN wall switch can be used for that. I've never seen one in use though - over here we daisy chain cables through the back of the wallplates, and we use the exact same phone system as the US, sockets and all.

    If you confirm what you're doing I might be able to help - I've done a lot of RJ11 wiring. But you may have to buy a new switch or set up a manual junction where the switch is now .
  3. Mudshark

    Mudshark TS Rookie Posts: 101

    I just switched to Vonage...same type of thing... VoIP.
    I disconnected the POTS line where it came into the house. This isolates
    the wires in the home and I just hooked the adapter onto one wall socket
    and it feeds juice to all the other sockets... but I have Comcast Cable.... what is
    COX ? if it's DSL it will be a bit more tricky because DSL ships voice and data
    on their own sets of wires. A friend of mine has done this though so I can ask
    him ... if you need it. Let me know.
  4. poertner_1274

    poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

    It's a cable company in the southwest
  5. Mudshark

    Mudshark TS Rookie Posts: 101

    cool so then it's just like I said. just hook the Adapter (PAP or Router)
    directly to the apartments wiring via the bedroom jack.
    Vonage give you a Linksys router when you join up that has three network
    ports and two phone lines jacks. I don't know what youre using but it has
    to be a similar tye of adapter right?

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...