piggybacking a piggybacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwingz

hey im just curious if this is possible, im at my friends house and he has very poor signal strength with his wireless, so he has set up his desktop in a very obscure place just to get signal strength, and I was wondering if there was a way that I could "piggyback" off of his computers connection through my laptop. we do have a linksys router here, so i figured i might be able to do something with that or just a strait ethernet connection between the 2. im just wondering how would i go about setting this up? I have vista and he has xp home btw

as long as you have your friends permission then you can connect to their router or use internet connection sharing (ICS) on his desktop which does what it sounds like really - allows you to share his internet connection via the pc

an ethernet conection straight to the router or the desktop will do the trick if it has onboard lan

You'd need 2 network card's in his computer.

Share the connection on wireless, and then run a crossover cable between your laptop and his (hopefully he has onboard LAN or you'd need him to get a PCI NIC). Then run the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard.

Or you could have him get another wireless card, and share that connection as an access point... Never done that, not sure if it is more complex to get working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back