PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds celebrates milestones with first-ever Steam sale

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Something to look forward to: PUBG and Fortnite are without a doubt the two most popular battle royale titles currently available but they’ll get some fresh competition this fall as both Battlefield V and Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 are slated to ship with battle royale modes. That’ll be a first for each franchise although given their loyal fan bases, the mode will likely be an instant hit.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds' player count may be waning but it’s still incredibly popular in the grand scheme of things and that’s reason to celebrate.

PUBG has now sold over 50 million units worldwide across the Xbox and PC. When factoring in the mobile iteration, there are now more than 400 million registered players around the globe with over 87 million people playing on a daily basis across all platforms.

In recognition of the milestones, PUBG Corp is hosting its first-ever Steam sale. From now through July 5, you can pick up the hit battle royale game for just $19.99 – a savings of 33 percent off the regular price of $29.99. The sale is timed with the pending release of PUBG’s third map, Sanhok, and a new seasonal Event Pass, both of which will be made available on June 22.

Speaking of Steam sales, Valve’s annual summer sale is rumored to go live as soon as tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Permalink to story.

If you mean by "celebrate" that player base is down massively and they are discounting to try and get people to play, then yes "celebrate" is the right choice of words.

"release of PUBG’s third map, Sanhok, and a new seasonal Event Pass"

So the flopping game is getting a season pass that will split the player base. They just milk the last active players as much as they can before everyone forgets about this game without caring how the actual game works or how fun it is. This and their meritless lawsuits makes them contender for worst game publisher at the moment.

Yeah, I will save my money for much better titles, especially with the Steam Summer Sale coming up soon. And I'll find great deals during SGDQ too. (I might even donate the money :D )

So the flopping game is getting a season pass that will split the player base. They just milk the last active players as much as they can before everyone forgets about this game without caring how the actual game works or how fun it is. This and their meritless lawsuits makes them contender for worst game publisher at the moment.

It may be on the decline, but the game didn't flop, far from it.

Last edited:
I'm actually keen to try my first BR style game, which might be Fear The Wolves from Vostok (ex-Stalker developers).

Yeah, I will save my money for much better titles, especially with the Steam Summer Sale coming up soon. And I'll find great deals during SGDQ too. (I might even donate the money :D )

It may be on the decline, but the game didn't flop, far from it.
Money wise it didn't flop but there have been tons of games and movies that have made a ton of money then disappeared. Pubg has so many issues, many many ppl would say it's a disappoint if not a down right flop in that way.

The player base is mainly Chinese players which many would also say that they are the reason for the cheating issue that lingers with the game. While not the end killer for everyone but it's a big issue. Add on the optimizations or lack there of and the game has gone downhill. Some changes and maps, likely all came to late. Dev didn't listen to the player base and when they did, it looks to be way to late. Many have been waiting and waiting for things to change, it took them 6 months after the 1.0 release to even get around to fix things when ppl told them time and time again, the issues have been there and they ignored them.

Before this update I was just about done with PUBG and the issues that came with it but after the latest update the overall game play has improved a lot.

The new map is nice because it's smaller but there is more loot to grab and my kill rate has gone up since the latest update. This is the first time I'm looking forward to playing the game later now that it's become fun again.

Back