PlayStation 5 rumored to use 8-Core Ryzen CPU, cost $500

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Does Sony’s reasons for skipping next year’s E3 include the PlayStation 5? That’s the rumor put forward by the same redditor who predicted the company’s decision, and they’ve also revealed some interesting alleged details about the upcoming console.

On the same Reddit thread where they said Sony would avoid E3 before any official announcements were made, RuthenicCookie wrote about the long-rumored PlayStation 5. They claim it will be announced sometime in the middle of next year, with the full reveal coming at a later PlayStation Experience Event. The PS5 will then launch in either March or November 2020.

RuthenicCookie describes the PS5 as a monster, a “4K/60 stable and at the same time kinda monster,” adding that it features a Ryzen 8-core CPU, which aligns with previous rumors. Back in April, it was claimed that the console would also use a custom GPU based on AMD’s upcoming Navi architecture.

The Reddit user mentions that most developers already have PS5 dev kits—another rumor we heard earlier this year—and that the machine will cost $500 at launch. Games-wise, RuthenicCookie says three big upcoming PS4 titles—Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima—will all be PS5 launch games. We still don’t know if backward compatibility will be present, but it seems a safe bet.

Additionally, the PlayStation VR is also getting a successor. The current version’s breaker box is being moved inside the console, while the PSVR2 will have a built-in camera. Moreover, new PlayStation Move controllers are in development. Sony is also said to be testing virtual reality gloves.

All this is just rumor, though RuthenicCookie’s previous accurate predictions do lend credence to the claims. They also called Bioware’s Anthem “a mess” in its current state, and said it will again be delayed, with the February 2019 launch date getting pushed back.

Permalink to story.

Interesting. Hope next gen consoles will actually be more cutting edge at launch rather than based on several year old hardware.
That's one thing I miss about the early years of 360/PS3.

Also hope there's not a massive performance gap between XBOX and PS. That was a bit of a ridiculous move by Microsoft. Thanks Kinect O_o

I really don't want to pay 500 dollars for a box filled with metal wires and cheap *** case with leds.
From the 3ds systems all the way up to ps4 any version consoles.
300+ dollars is too much to ask for, not everyone can just throw away that amount of money.
I also hope sony has a better model controller than what is being shown here.
It looks like a half *** job of copying rock candy controllers and smashing it up Power A controllers.

I find the new PSVR2 interesting. Sony apparently still thinks VR is promising. I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Still, that's all a long way off. Considering how long into a console product cycle I typically buy, I might own a PS5 in 2025. (Except for the Wii U, which I bought only 4 years after release, but Nintendo was stopping production, so they rushed me.)

Edit: After some fact checking, I actually bought the Xbox 360 7 years after introduction, so I guess I'm just not consistent enough. Xbox 360 after 7 years, Wii U after 4, Xbox One after 5.

Last edited:
I expect something in the region of 8 core Zen CPU + GTX 1080 class GPU.
Xbox 360 did have a good CPU at the time, but GPU was not a monster. If we remember, it had a 7900GT GPU (best was 7950GX which was twice as powerful and a few months later 8800 GTX launched with almost twice the performance.
It depends on many things - what is the budget Microsoft and Sony have to spend on HW, what architecture they get on the release timeframe and various other things like Cloud computing, process fabrication, etc.

Xbox 360 did have a good CPU at the time, but GPU was not a monster. If we remember, it had a 7900GT GPU

Perhaps you're thinking about the original Xbox, which had an NVIDIA GPU. The 360 had an AMD GPU, based on the Radeon X1900. I'm not sure what the exact PC equivalent of it was (its architecture was different from PC chips), but I think it was reasonably high end. Xbox One GPU was what I'd call low-mid-range (or, to use Wikipedia's scale of entry-level, mid-range, high-end and enthusiast, it was mid-range).

The PS5 will then launch in either March or November 2020.]

I guess that will be determined by one of two things (or both)

1. What Microsoft will do with Xbox Two
2. Will the 7nm production process be able to supply enough APU's for mass market release in March 2020.

The PS5 will then launch in either March or November 2020.]

I guess that will be determined by one of two things (or both)

1. What Microsoft will do with Xbox Two
2. Will the 7nm production process be able to supply enough APU's for mass market release in March 2020.

I'd still bet that long before that we'll see exclusive Pro and X games pushing the next gen even further.

I had hardware issues with two original PS4s that had very casual use, so will wait for a 2nd revision before buying a PS5.

I think both the PS5 and next Xbox will have near identical CPUs since both Sony and Microsoft working with AMD, but the GPU will probably be beefier in the XBOX.

Not interested in VR, makes me highly nauseous.

Xbox 360 did have a good CPU at the time, but GPU was not a monster. If we remember, it had a 7900GT GPU

Perhaps you're thinking about the original Xbox, which had an NVIDIA GPU. The 360 had an AMD GPU, based on the Radeon X1900. I'm not sure what the exact PC equivalent of it was (its architecture was different from PC chips), but I think it was reasonably high end. Xbox One GPU was what I'd call low-mid-range (or, to use Wikipedia's scale of entry-level, mid-range, high-end and enthusiast, it was mid-range).

The PS3 had the 7900ish equivalent when it launched.

Well, I think its time to buy a PS4Pro and a XOneX when they get dirt cheap in the coming months.

Exactly I think Amazon prime direct will lower them enough to buy.
If I could get a barebones console with the cords only.
The rest I know I can get a much better price rather than retail original price.

Xbox 360 did have a good CPU at the time, but GPU was not a monster. If we remember, it had a 7900GT GPU (best was 7950GX which was twice as powerful and a few months later 8800 GTX launched with almost twice the performance.

X360's CPU was weak, but it's GPU was very impressive.
PS3's GPU was not good, but it's CPU was.....something.

360 had a custom, unified shader ATi GPU in late 2005. Unified shader (DX10) GPUs weren't available in the PC space until a whole year later, late 2006. It was probably roughly equivalent in performance to an X1800XL, even faster for some operations.

PS3 had a 7800GTX. Except the core was down clocked, and the memory bandwidth was crippled by halving the memory bus. At the same time PS3 arrived, Nvidia showed off their own unified GPU the 8800 series, and it easily doubled console performance. They had sold Sony an old, cut down P.O.S.

There is no doubt X360's GPU was superior, even though it was a year older. Only by using the CELL CPU as a type of graphics co processor did developers manage to claw back performance.

I expect something in the region of 8 core Zen CPU + GTX 1080 class GPU.
It depends on many things - what is the budget Microsoft and Sony have to spend on HW, what architecture they get on the release timeframe and various other things like Cloud computing, process fabrication, etc.
you should check your information before you make an argument , 360 had an AMD gpu while PS3 had an Nvidia Gpu coupled with a CELL Cpu which was better than the 360 cpu but very difficult to work with

I'm on board for better hardware, but $500 is too much for the average consumer. Microsoft tried this with the XBONE at launch, did they not? Remember how Sony wanted $600 for the PS3?

I’ll sell off my pro to offset, Im always down for the next gen of eye melting playstation goodness.

Backwards compatabilty should be easy as they are basically pc games at this point correct?

The shader count for a console has yet to break 1000. An rx 480/580/590 has 2304. I am more familiar with Nvidias product stack, so abut the equivalent of a gt1040/1050. Ever since I went to school for electronics I have found out how underpowered consoles really are graphically. They still make a good deal price wise for the complete package you get, but I still can't do it. Ps2 was my last console and pc for me since then.

I'm on board for better hardware, but $500 is too much for the average consumer. Microsoft tried this with the XBONE at launch, did they not? Remember how Sony wanted $600 for the PS3?
True, but there was no 4K or anything to support that Price, what we got was "Kinect" and "No to Used Games"...

True, but there was no 4K or anything to support that Price, what we got was "Kinect" and "No to Used Games"...
That's true. Speaking for myself, I'd have no problem paying that amount of cash for a quality console. I'm just thinking about the general public, and my instinct tells me that they won't feel the same way. Not that they can't afford it, it's more of a psychological value thing.

But hey, people spend $1000 on the latest iPhone, so what do I know?

Thats cool but please make it where its backwards compatible like you did for the ps3 where you can play ps1 and ps2 and ps3 and ps4 cuz I know alot of people that wants that so we can play our other games to theres alot that want that thank you

Back