PlayStation Phone specs and images leaked

Emil

Staff

Details on the rumored PlayStation Phone have finally leaked, courtesy of Engadget (Gallery 1, Gallery 2). The device will be heading to the market soon, possibly with Android 3.0 (codenamed Gingerbread). If it indeed ships with Gingerbread, it could be out in time for the holidays, but that's pushing it. Engineers will only be getting the first Android 3.0 tablets in December, but then again this is a phone. Either way, Google has yet to share any release timeline details for upcoming versions of Android (such as 2.3) but it won't be long now.

The OS aside, the PlayStation Phone will come with a custom Sony Marketplace for purchasing and downloading games designed for the new platform. The device itself sports a 1GHz Qualcomm MSM8655, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM, and a screen ranging from 3.7 to 4.1 inches. The handset also includes a long touchpad in the center which is apparently multitouch, as well as familiar PlayStation shoulder buttons. There's no Sony Memory Stick slot, but there is support for microSD cards.

The model pictured above is still in prototyping mode. Thus, there isn't a custom skin and the software is still rather buggy. In any case, a 2010 release is possible but 2011 is looking much more realistic. Can Sony Ericsson make the former possible or will it have to settle for the latter?

Permalink to story.

looks legit, and completely unoriginal, they didn't learn a single thing from the DS.

I can't imagine downloading this, but I could see a huge market for it.
I'm sure this would be a big hit.

This'd be something I'd buy, but I imagine battery life would be abysmal, unless the battery's fairly large, which (along with the extra hardware required for the buttons et al) would make it weigh a lot more than a typical phone. If Sony can get around this, it'd make for a pretty awesome phone to have.

Let's also hope they don't go "iPhone 4" on us and put the antenna in a stupid place just to make it look cool.

IMO key is to focus on delivering something which gives the best experience to their target audience instead of being jack of all trades and good at nothing.

I remember a few years ago there was talk of the patents that Sony had made about a "Playstation phone" and... well here it is! This is very exciting and the phone looks good. The choice of touchpads instead of analog sticks is interesting. It could work, but odd since we know they are capable of thin nubs for sliders on PSP Go.

somehow i don't see this succeeding. I could be wrong but look at nintendo, every handheld is popular and it only plays games.

I have been watching this since it was first hinted at. This is my dream phone. Android apps and PSP games....I'm grinning just from thinking about it. If it is the PSP Go with android...then there really is no need to worry about whether it will be a good device. These are two items that are already prooven.

Its as if MS went open source and stopped being *******s.

I don't even!?! Is this supposed to make up for the pspGo? Last time i remember someone trying to put a hand held into a phone the N-Gage is what happened...

this looks okay....but how can this phone stack up to games on the psp?...if it cant then i dont see any reason why you shoudnt get a phone and a better handheld gaming set over this.

It looks a lot like one of sony ericssons previous phones, the vivaz pro! But of course with the PS pad instead of qwerty a keyboard.

I predict this will be as succesful as Microsoft Kin one and two. It is designed for youths and it is fugly.
Probably will also be very expensive which again...will help it have the faith of Kin.

crzydave said:
I don't even!?! Is this supposed to make up for the pspGo? Last time i remember someone trying to put a hand held into a phone the N-Gage is what happened...

Sony definitely need to learn about what happened to N-Gage..
Personally, i think the idea to merge phone and a handheld game is a good idea, only if they merge social aspect into it.

looks bad right now. i hope they put more effort to the design.

im guessing one big problem for that will be the battery since your gonna use it for a phone AND a psp. but games would be awesome thought. having a PSP Android phone would be awesome. just gonna have to get over the design. ughh. might buy one though

This is something a lot of people would want but i doubt it'd be as big a success as say the iphone..the main issue with a phone like this would be the battery life considering gaming would be the top priority and it does drain batteries and then u wont have a phone to use.but interesting nevertheless.

Hey, it's a Playstation and a phone. What more can a guy want from a phone? It isn't particularly pretty, but it's only a prototype. For a weird reason, I want a phone that can also be used as a taser. That would be neat!

Hmmmm... Those controls look a little flimzy, I wonder how smooth playing games on it will be? Kind of reminds me of PSP go.

Who said "never mix business and pleasure"

I'll be surprised if this fully hits...I myself am of the "Playstation generation"...but this, Nah, not my bag.

So its a playstation 'phone' but it doesn't do any of the things phones do? If they can get the unreal engine 3 on this beast like they have done with the iphone,touch,and ipad then this will definitely go on my list.

Back