PlayStation VR 2 will start supporting PCs later this year

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: As concerns grow regarding the future of VR gaming, Sony's decision to make its PlayStation 5 headset, the PS VR2, compatible with PCs could significantly impact the sector. Although no specific PC titles compatible with PS VR2 have been announced, the headset's pricing and eye-tracking functionality position it as a top contender in the PC VR gaming market.

Sony has confirmed it has started testing PC compatibility for its PS VR2 headset, which so far has been exclusive to the PlayStation 5. The company aims to enable PS VR2 owners to play PC games sometime this year.

The somewhat vague announcement came in the middle of an update on upcoming PS5 VR titles, but it could carry significant implications. If Sony's headset supports platforms like SteamVR and OpenXR, it could emerge as a formidable competitor among PC headsets.

When Sony launched the product in early 2023, reviewers praised its high screen resolution and reasonable price but criticized Sony's choice to restrict it to the PlayStation 5 and its relatively limited library of VR games. Making the device compatible with PCs and the extensive range of PC VR software could be the right strategy to expand PS VR2's reach and appeal.

Although the PlayStation maker didn't mention what titles might support PS VR2 on PC, many multiplatform games already offer VR experiences on consoles and PCs, such as Tetris Effect and No Man's Sky. However, enabling PC compatibility in a way similar to the Meta Quest 2 and 3 would introduce notable games not currently playable on PS VR2, like Half-Life: Alyx, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Myst, and many more.

Moreover, PlayStation VR 2 compares favorably to the current selection of PC VR headsets. With a resolution of 2,000 x 2,040 per eye, a maximum frame rate of 120Hz, OLED screens, and a 110-degree field of view, its specs closely resemble the $500 Meta Quest 3 while costing $50 more. Although Sony's headset isn't standalone, it includes eye-tracking – a feature not found on the Quest 3, HTC Vive Pro 2, or Valve Index. The Meta Quest Pro supports eye-tracking but costs nearly twice as much as the PS VR2.

Sony's eye-tracking capability could bring foveated rendering to a broader audience of PC VR users. This technique renders only the portion of the screen the user is looking at in full resolution, potentially conserving horsepower and improving performance. Furthermore, software leveraging eye-tracking could enable users to interact with inputs solely through eye movements, a capability Apple has successfully showcased with its $3,500 Vision Pro mixed reality headset.

Permalink to story.

I never thought I would see the day the PC would be so attractive to the console makers. I am still sulking about the state of GPU's and the outrageous prices , also the state of AAA games is at an all time low . Other than that PC seems to be doing great.

So PlayStation is going to lose its games exclusivity even on its own VR.

It seems like Sony's Console exclusivity will soon be a thing of the past.

I never thought I would see the day the PC would be so attractive to the console makers. I am still sulking about the state of GPU's and the outrageous prices , also the state of AAA games is at an all time low . Other than that PC seems to be doing great.
Once we found out that devs used PCs to develop Console games and were showing off in game trailers from PC to the console crowds a decade ago I knew it was a matter of time when they embrace PC. I didn't realize that we would see it to this level of attention, although MLID podcast predicted the PSVR2 PC support last year.

Hmmmm... an interesting development.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick, reliable release though (considering Sony takes it's time to support PC in general).

I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick, reliable release though (considering Sony takes it's time to support PC in general).

Sony losing $10 billion dollars in brand value all thanks to the PlayStation 5 under performance in sales caused its CEO to announce a more aggressive PC support meaning less PlayStation console exclusivities and quicker PC releases.

The only things Sony had in common with the rest of the vendors last 40 years was the power plug and the headphone jack. I was real surprised about the colaboration with Philips for the SPDIF.

Interesting, I really do prefer the overall design of the PSVR as it looks way more usable with glass's, something I cannot do with the CV1, contacts only.
I would give this a very hard look if it 100% supported steamVR, other than that, hard pass. I have a ps5 as well but restricting a HMD to such a small library at $500 is a very hard sell.

So PlayStation is going to lose its games exclusivity even on its own VR.

It seems like Sony's Console exclusivity will soon be a thing of the past.

Exclusivity is bad for game publishers as it make it's games have a smaller public... Even MS recognize that when it started making X Box games avaliable thru Windows Store on PCs, even Nintendo that holds it's IPs very close to its chest is starting to test this waters thru official Android games like Mario Run.

Console units sales can't bring more profit then games sales does. If PlayStation become a store frontend for games just like Windows Store and Steam are, they could stop selling consoles that is expensive to develop and make (and still may flop making then loose lots of money) so they start making money thru the "steam tax" model... I bet even 10% of game sales would bring more profits then console sales.

If the console industry takes this path it could bring a really big change in the game industry thru PC game catalog getting somewhat bigger with access to more (perhaps ALL) game tittles and "console gaming" could become as agnostic as PC gaming, with PC like "consoles" that could be used just like smart TV sticks where you install the streamming app that pleases you, so you could install Steam/X box Store/PS Store on it and get the game you want and all of them would be happy because you could sign up to a variety of gaming service plans just like we do now with Netflix, Prime Video... all served in the same device.

I know that Steam tried this path with Steam Machines, but it failed... If Steam Machines had access to X Box and Playstation games would that fail again?

Game publishers get happy, hardware makers get happy, gamers get happy.
It's win-win to everybody.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick, reliable release though (considering Sony takes it's time to support PC in gene

Exclusives are designed to generate sales. Who is buying PSVR2?
Well based on the fact that Sony just lost $10 billion dollars in stocks value by missing PS5 hardware sales I would say the PlayStation CEO knows better now than keeping anything exclusive.

When the VR urge hits us, we still use my 6-year-old Samsung Odyssey+ HMD VR setup.
For gaming, it's nowhere near as far behind current VR tech as one may think.
But PSVR2 PC capability might be the push needed to finally upgrade.

When the VR urge hits us, we still use my 6-year-old Samsung Odyssey+ HMD VR setup.
For gaming, it's nowhere near as far behind current VR tech as one may think.
But PSVR2 PC capability might be the push needed to finally upgrade.

Same. My Odyssey + is a nice rig, but if a PSVR2 can have the same compatibility without the need for a console it's going to be my next upgrade, for sure.

Back