PlayStation VR Review

Julio Franco

Staff member

Let’s cut to the chase: PlayStation VR should be better. At its best, Sony’s new virtual reality headset manages to conjure the astonishing, immersive wonder of modern virtual reality. Just as often it is frustratingly held back by outdated hardware that can’t quite do what’s being asked of it.

PlayStation VR is Sony’s answer to cutting-edge VR headsets like the Facebook-backed Oculus Rift and the Valve-backed HTC Vive. On paper, it offers much the same experience as its competitors at a lower price, powered not by an expensive gaming PC but by a somewhat less expensive PlayStation 4 console.

I’ve been using the PSVR for the better part of a week and have played a handful of the games that will be available at launch. I’ve been impressed by some things, turned off by others, and made nauseous by a few. Throughout that time I’ve also been disappointed. Sony’s lovely, well designed headset is consistently undermined by inferior motion controllers, an underpowered console, and a lackluster camera.

Read the complete review.

Anyone who drops $500 on this has more money than sense.
I'd wait and hope it dropped down, but if you only have a ps4. This is your cheapest option for VR. Think of it as using a sub par PC? Xbox one and the wii u would be in the same boat.

If you do not already own a decent pc, this seems like your only option unless you want to drop build a rig. So it is viable for a majority of console owners. Your just missing out because well you own a console lol.

Why are people so "all about" VR anyways.....I see no appeal. I play video games to be away from reality which includes moving around and all of that crap which is why whenever I played the Wii I used the classic controller they sold or the Gamecube controller. I hope VR dies off like 3d movies did. It's a worthless idea to me and a waste of money and time.

At least it doesn't make you look like you are as stupid as you'd have to be to buy one...oh yeah it does. lol

Why are people so "all about" VR anyways.....I see no appeal. I play video games to be away from reality which includes moving around and all of that crap which is why whenever I played the Wii I used the classic controller they sold or the Gamecube controller. I hope VR dies off like 3d movies did. It's a worthless idea to me and a waste of money and time.
Just like 3D TV's, "hi-res audio" (SACD / DVD-Audio) and "smart" watches, it's mostly salesmen and tech sites over-hyping stuff to try and inflate almost non-existent mainstream "demand" outside of enthusiast circles. I haven't heard a single person I know even mention VR let alone buy one. And that's not due to lack of awareness but just lack of interest (everyone is more interested in inexpensive mobile / traditional gaming on equipment they already own).

I know it’s subjective, but was it really fun using it? More fun than playing PS games without it? Does the novelty wear off quickly, or did you find yourself hoping you had more time to play?

Exactly as I thought. I always knew my ps4 didn't have the power to run VR well. I am running 980tis on the pc and notice frame drops in some titles on the rift so knew the ps4 would struggle. I didn't know though our poor the ps4 camera and move controllers were which are just going to further hinder this device.

Anyone who drops $500 on this has more money than sense.
I'd wait and hope it dropped down, but if you only have a ps4. This is your cheapest option for VR. Think of it as using a sub par PC? Xbox one and the wii u would be in the same boat.

If you do not already own a decent pc, this seems like your only option unless you want to drop build a rig. So it is viable for a majority of console owners. Your just missing out because well you own a console lol.

Hopefully it will improve with PS Pro and future firmware updates. May be they can release Move+ just like Wiimote+ to improve the tech.

Well the first thing I thought of VR is someone artistic will make a beautiful fantasy environment where I can just immerse myself into and relax away from reality. So no, I don't want VR to die. Isn't VR about being away from reality anyways? It allows you to be "alive" and interact in an environment that does not actually exist instead of just looking at it though the screen.

It's GOING TO FAIL.

#1 No one wants to use the MOVE controllers - at all.

#2 No one wants to use hand gestures anymore - it's physically exhausting after a while.

#3 It costs WAY TOO MUCH.

#4 It costs MORE than a nice 4K 50" TV. No one can see what you're seeing but you - which completely ruins the experience for friends who want to play together.

#5 Motion sickness...

this console generation is a huge FAILURE. Xbox 360/ PS3 offered so much more.

Back