Please help a noob in setting up wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I live in a house on rent and am connected to internet through a LAN connection with no modem. I just have a RJ cable-lead in my room and when I connect it to my computer it connects me to the internet.

So I bought a Belkin Wireless G Router thinkng if I could connect that cable in router it will let me connect my laptop and desktop to wireless connection and lan connection respectively but it doesn't. (Both desktop and laptop have Wireless card)

I am running Windows Vista Business on my laptop. I did everything word-to-word as explained in the manual but when I try to connect it to internet nothing happens, when I do IE's "Diagnose and Repair" it says there is a problem with the DNS. When I type 192.168.2.1 in browser it brings up a menu to setup the router, I used the DNS that comes up when I connect that lead in my computer but I get the same result.

Can anyone please kindly tell me what's going on and how can I setup a wireless network connnection in my room?

Thank you very much.

This is tough to translate over a tech site email.

It is a problem that is easy once you finally understand it, but it is very very difficult for a noob to do.

I haven't checked with Belkin, but every Wireless manufacturer website I have seen has very long user guides on PDF that are available for download... anywhere from 52 to 120 pages, so there is a lot of printing involved.

Also, there is very helpful information available with a Gurgle search, or with a look at the www.microsoft.com.

I don't even know of a How To Book that is really helpful to a Noob until you already know how to do it.

It might be worth paying a local tech $35 to quickly do it, if he knows the brand and model.

Hopefully, there will be somebody on this list that has some instructions already together that they can send you.

the first step is to WIRE the connections, avoiding wireless. this will
get the connectivity working thru the new Belkin to your systems.
once that works, you can config the Belkin for wireless.

the issue is routing.

the cable coming into your room is attached to a router somewhere.
you need to get your belkin to set and route IP traffic correctly.

I agree with jobeard, you need to set your belkin to passthrough traffic as you already have a router in the chain. Set yours to act purely as a wireless access point. Don't use the DCHP on the belkin
Belkins are a bugger because every time you change a setting the router takes about 35secs to reboot itself, making configs a lengthy pain in the backside.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back