Plextor PX-716A Burining issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuartA2

Plextor PX-716A Burning issues (Strange)

I have a Plextor PX-716A DVD Burner. it is the 3rd one I have had having RMA'd it 3 times already due to them getting "power calibration" errors. However, this one is acting in a different way!

It will burn DVD+R, but wont recognise DVD-R discs.
It wont burn CDRs, but will recognise them, but it will burn CDRW's!

The burner isnt that old and I have checked with different types of brands to the same conclusion.

Does anyone know why it will only burn certain types of disks and not others and if its on its way out (again) or if the issue is something else maybe.

Thanks,

Stuart

Ps. Am using Nero to burn with

Must be an older model. It was not that long ago that very few burners would detect DVD+ . Or you have motherboard issues.
We have had amazingly good luck with Plextor... better than with any other drive. Sounds like they sent you a refurb... which they can do under warranty.
These problems are usually fixed with Firmware upgrades that are available on the website. Have you checked for firmware upgrades there and elsewhere?
Simpler to spend $24 to $35 for a Samsung, LG, LiteOn, Phillips, or Pioneer.

The serial says July 2006, so as its an already RMA'd one it probibly is a refurb. I originally got Plextor becaues of their decent reputation too!!

That said, it hasnt actually died (yet) so I dont undersatnd why it would burn 1 type of DVD (+R) and not another (-R) when it was doing so before!

Also, why it recognises CDs, but wont burn them.

Cheers,

Stuart

Ps. All firmware etc was updated.. so its not that!

Worn out.
That drive was NOT advertised as doing DVD+R. Look it up. Either you got lucky or your memory is bad.
Optical drives are fragile, and burn out like light bulbs. The laser device can slip out of alignment almost from a change in temperature... 100th of an inch. They will never last a year if heavily used, and you don't know the previous use of that one. Nowadays most optical drives have only a 90 day warranty.
Although the Plextor is one of the very best, it sounds like yours has reached the end of its useful product life.
Your errors are suspicious, and some that we have never experienced or seen in our repair manuals, so there may be something else going on.
There is certainly not a fix. When you replace that one with a new one, take it apart by removing the bottom panel. You will see why it is not fixable.

Hi Rayban,

According to the Plextor site (http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716a.htm) it supports DVD±R media so not sure why you feel it doesnt or that I was lucky that it does!

Note taken about it reaching its end of life, I didnt know they were so fragile.. I dont do that much burning btw.

When replaced, would would I be looking for if I took it apart?

Thanks,

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back