Possible Driver Problem & Sims 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

catki86226

I have a very similiar problem to an old post I found but I didn't know if I should bump such an old thread.

Here is the thread in question, and I think my problem is very similiar but wanted to be sure the same advice applies.

**I had to remove the link and not sure how to proceed.

I had lines going through my monitor and thought I should check for updates for my driver. It did seem to help the line issue but now my sims won't work and I think I may have installed the incorrect driver.

I got the game to start, but got a black screen. I fiddled with the controls in the CCC and think I hurt more than I helped. I also clicked on restore previous settings and can't even get into CCC anymore and get the Direct X error message now.

I think I should uninstall CCC and the driver version I installed but I'm unsure of how to do that and which driver version I should install.

I hope this is enough info about my computer-- Let me know if more info is needed.

Dell Dimension 8300 XP Home Edition
Phoenix Rom Bios Plus Version 1.10A05
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
1.5 GB Ram
Direct X 9.0c

125 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 PM.

Should I follow the advice in the link I posted and download the 7.7 driver?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Hope I posted in the right place.

I wasn't able to post a link, but the thread I'm talking about was entitled "Sims 2 failure, ATI Radeon 9800 & DirectX 9.0c"

OK, maybe I can get help with a different question.

I'm trying to uninstall CCC and the current driver. I found the instructions for doing that.

Here are my two questions.

1. After I uninstall everything ATI should I also delete the ATI folder?

2. Is CCC of any use at all? Can I simply install the driver?

Thanks for any help.

I would delete the old ATI folder. It will be recreated with installation of the new ATI driver. For the time being just install the driver only.

I have an older AGP Radeon 9600 Pro card and I've found that the 8.6 driver is stable. Have you tried that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back