Possible overheating CPU on my Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba Qosmio Av201 specs are as follows

Pentium M with Centrino Technology 1.8ghz
1.5gb RAM
80GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce FX Go 6600

I have been using NHC (Notebook Hardware Control) to keep track of my temps. and they are as follows

Measured in Celsius

CPU/HDD

Upon Boot up: 32c/?? <<forgot to check lol
During Idle: 34c/40c
When i watch like one or two youtube vids: 64c/48c
When i play DoD or CS:S 65c-83c/48c-55c

Now once the CPU hits the 64c mark it will stay there even if i let the machine idle again...

Is this normal? i have a Targus notebook cooler as well but it still hits those temps.
Also one of my notebook fans clips once in while (put a piece of paper on a house fan and thats what it sounds like)...so that right there is defenitly getting changed soon even though it doesnt do it all the time...some of the things i did do

-Without opening the machine...blew out the computer in every possible vent with compressed air

-Bought a notebook cooler which really doesnt help

thats about it lol...what im PLANNING on doing is...

-Ordering a new CPU fan for my machine...(for the clipping noise as well as maybe the fan is dying)

-Since the machine is open already for a fan swap...im going to put brand spanking new arctic silver between the CPU and heatsink

So all in all i hope to see a good and/or drastic drop in cpu tempature if the temps i listed are abnormal...

Last thing...has anyone heard of the chill pak?
chillpak.com
Im considering ditching the targus cooler and putting one of those on my machine...has anyone used it?...if so does it work?...if u havent used it...do you still think it will work? lol...feedback greatly appreciated.

-GeRm

Those temps aren't to bad. Your software could be reading those temps wrong, but even if it wasn't then those temps aren't that high. I would make sure there is no dust on it but I can be tricky to open laptops.

What is bad is that the temperatures above 64c stay there, and 85c is too high for the Toshiba's cooling system.
But you have a good handle on the problem, and doing all that is possible.
Toshiba's just don't have all the cooling channels that a top end HP or Dell has...
Let us know how it all turns out.
I am assuming that by "compressed air" you mean a canned air with difluoroethane gas such as Dust-Off was used... regular compressed air from a compressor is very, very risky as it can generate a lot of static electricity.

raybay said:
I am assuming that by "compressed air" you mean a canned air with difluoroethane gas such as Dust-Off was used... regular compressed air from a compressor is very, very risky as it can generate a lot of static electricity.

haha yeah man a can of compressed air buddy...

anyway i just read that the "ambient" tempature of the machine should be minimum 41f and the maximum is 95f...i think they might have got it mixed up with celsius...but if its a true statement...im screwed haha...

does anyone know if the CPU fan and the secondary fan are the same?...that is the trouble im having right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back