Power supply suspected

By jimpuliti
Feb 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Went to my PC room. walked across carpet , touched switch, static electricity generated a spark, and 'PC won't turn on - no power. I wasn't sure what it was, but certain it was some burn out. Called a Pc repair shop, they thought it might be the power supply.....Need your thought on this. Never shocked before upon on turnig on PC.
    Any thoughts
  2. mailpup

    mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 7,188   +470

    It could be a lot of things but I would suspect the motherboard. You will have to test your other components to eliminate them. Do you have access to spare parts to swap out for testing purposes?
  3. Lokalaskurar

    Lokalaskurar TS Enthusiast Posts: 544

    So the PC will not turn on - at all? Then it is probably the power-supply.

    As mailpup noted; it could actually be a lot of things - even the motherboard, but that is not very likely; I have come across several dozens of shortened motherboards (as an IT-tech.) and usually, more or less always, the PC responds to the power-button (it activates and simply sits at idle, without hard-drive "flutter", and with both power-LED and HDD-activity LED lit for about 40 sec.)

    I would say that the PC-repair shop is probably correct in their diagnosis, provided that the PC makes no response to the power-switch at all.

    As for the phenomenon of burn-outs from touching the power-switch, I actually experienced this personally last week, as my cat decided to sit on my external HDD :( - and I can recall our physics teacher burning out the van der Graaf-generator after it had charged him electrostatically.

    For now, you should try mailpup's suggestion.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...