printer over network issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

thajer

Hi all,
Over the past weekend the HP inkjet cp1700 decided to stop working. No changes were made to any ports, cables, or devices. There are currently 0 documents pending to print, each time one is submitted i automatically get the Error- Printing status. What would cause this to stop working?

If it helps, from the wall I am connecting to a Linksys router, to a small print server device that is connected to the printer via usb. Any Ideas? Thanks a bunch.

Hello, thajer, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

With regards to your problem, this might sound like a silly question, but have you tried turning it off and on again?

Unplug the power - to cycle power then unplug any network or usb cable. Now plugin the power.
Turn on the power but at the sametime press on GO or power on. You must to this at the sametime which will place the printer in the factory reset mode. This USB network device does it have any type of reset button on it? If yes press it. Also in the Router does it see the printer or USB network box?

Hey, thank you for the fast reply. I believe there are 2 linksys routers on this network so I'm not sure of its IP to try to findout if the router finds it. But, its able to find the other 2 printers and print to them with no issue. The usb/lan device doesnt have a reset, but i took out the power plug,waited, connected back. still an error.

Things to do..

Where does it say the error?
On the Panel of the HP or on the user PC when you click print?
On the printer what code does it give for the error?
If you don't have display on the printer then.
Could be the USB LAN device unplug that if it has it's own power supply.
Can you see the USB LAN device in the router can you ping it?
Does it have telnet feature or does it have a Web GUI that you can get into. Does that unit see the Printer being connected to it through usb?

Otherwise:

Try testing the printer with a PC install the USB drivers then connect the printer directly to that PC without the USB LAN. Can you get a test page printed?

thajer said:
Hi all,
Over the past weekend the HP inkjet cp1700 decided to stop working. ...
each time one is submitted i automatically get the Error- Printing status. What would cause this to stop working?

If it helps, from the wall I am connecting to a Linksys router, to a small print server device that is connected to the printer via usb. Any Ideas? Thanks a bunch.
the HP inkjet cp1700 is a USB attached device, not a network accessible device
(ie has no ip-address).

The server device needs to be evaluated for drivers, config, ... as the
HP just can't be your issue :)

You should directly attach the HP to any system and install the driver support
for it to prove the device is still functional.

tipstir said:
Where does it say the error?
On the Panel of the HP or on the user PC when you click print?
On the printer what code does it give for the error?
If you don't have display on the printer then.
Could be the USB LAN device unplug that if it has it's own power supply.
Can you see the USB LAN device in the router can you ping it?
Does it have telnet feature or does it have a Web GUI that you can get into. Does that unit see the Printer being connected to it through usb?

Otherwise:

Try testing the printer with a PC install the USB drivers then connect the printer directly to that PC without the USB LAN. Can you get a test page printed?
In the print view/queue box, under status, shows Error - Printing.
The only error on the printer display is Cyan ink low :cool:
The printer works being directly connected to a computer via usb.

The only thing I haven't done would be to try and find the routers ip, to view the gui, to view the ip assigned to the printer. Then, go on the server and assign a new tcpip port? with that ip. whew. Isnt there a command in dos you can run to see what is attached to the network and what Ip is assigned to it? I have forgoten it.

hp_business_inkjet_cp1700.

hp_business_inkjet_cp1700.gif

You have this right? So this is a USB printer no networking. You have to install HP drivers for this device on one PC. Then share that Printer out to all the PCs on your network. Everyone would have to connect to your PC to print.

Example

PC #1 \\192.169.2.20\Shared Printer
1. Install the Software & drivers
2. Connect USB cable
3. Test PRinter
4. Shared PRinter give it a name HPCP1700

A. On each PC do this
B. Click on Start then on Run
C. Type: \\192.169.2.20\
D. You should see HPCP1700 as being shared
E. Right click on HPCP1700 then click on Connect

That's it all drivers and what is needed to share out this printer will be installed. On that PC... Repeat steps A thru E for each other PC you want.

Yepper, thats the printer.

The thing is, I cannot remove it from its location. It needs to come out of the router and attach to the usb print server. I need to find out the routers IP.

Which router are you using? Or you can use an older laptop to share it out then you don't have to move it..

its just too strange.. it was set up this way from the beginning and just went out suddenly. i guess i may need to get a laptop there and run a usb from it, but shouldnt be like this. dang =s.
Thanks for all the input/advice.

that printer has an lcd screen. So you should be able to go through the menu and print the network config settings.
I've had plenty of fun with intermittent print servers, inferior quality ones tend to do this for no real reason. Usually in my case a reboot sorts it out.
But printing the network config page would be a good start to showing you if you have it configure correctly or not.

you've got multiple devices 'twix the system and the printer, so ...
Code:
router --- system 
       +
       +---- print srvr --- usb printer
using IPCONFIG /ALL
will show you the router address as the GATEWAY

the IP address seen above with /all will be your system's address
the other device will be the print server :)

I only see a list of computers =\ there are two ips listed at the bottom and i tried to attach the printer location to it and didnt work. Ahh.

then your print server is dead or malconfigured. It must acquire an ip address
if you expect to be able to print to the device attached to it.

Agreed. I decided to put a spare laptop under the desk connecting to the router. then attach via usb to the printer. all is good. thank you to all for contributing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back