Printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exonimus

Hello everyone,

my mother recently asked me to share our printer so it is always available. Currently, it's connected to main main computer and shared over WLAN, but it is very tiresome to always have to wait until that pc is on when wanting to print from another computer. However, I'm not sure what the best option is. The two computers are next to eachother, and they are both connected to the router through WLAN. My printer is a USB printer(canon pixma ip3000 to be exact) I'm not sure what the best option is. I've seen a printerserver as an option, but for me, I'd have to connect the printer to the printserver, and the printserver to the router, which would require a long cable, and which I'd rather not do. I know there is the option of a wireless printserver, but that's expensive. Is there any cheaper way? something like a simple usb splitter or anything in that direction? and if I could use a usb splitter, how can I connect the second pc to such a usb splitter? with some kind of usb to usb cable? I'm not sure if they exist.

You could simply plug the printer into the computer that happens to need it.. If the PCs are right next to each other, then it can't be that much of a hassle.

For a little automation and convenience, you may want a two-way "USB switch". Something like this maybe: http://www.usbswitch.com/usb_manual_2port.html

the wife and I have the same condition. When we're both active, we just use
print sharing, otherwise we yank the cable and replug it to the active machine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back