Problem, after problem, after problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am putting this in the hardware section because this is where I now feel the problem lies, if not I am sorry feel free to move my thread.

Yesterday my AV removed a file which was a system file for a nvidia product nvata.sys and would not boot up. In order to fix this I first tried to repair my windows XP through the disk, and then replaced the file using the recover console on the XP disk.

This has now resolved that problem but windows cannot now finish the repair of OS; it loads the repair, loads the windows logo, goes to a black screen where i can see my mouse and then reboots. This is a continuous loop, I think this is due to a hardware problem rather than software because 1 I cannot see it blue screening or any error messages and 2 even when the computer turned off my mouse is staying illuminated as are other peripherals.

Any ideas? I am not against reformatting my OS but first need to get my documents off it so just one boot would be sufficient.

Thank you

nope same thing, loads and i can see the writing on the edge of the screen etc but instead of showing desktop it reboots itself. is there a way to stop it rebooting itself automaticaly n it shows any errors it has?

Download a copy of "Ubuntu" Linux http://www.ubuntu.com/ , burn to disc, (must be burned as an "image" as it is an .iso file). Then, pop it in your DVD drive, and choose a "live run". (I think this is termed something like "try Linux without modifying your computer). This runs the OS directly from the CD and RAM. Modern Linux distros read and write in NTFS file format, so that while in Linux, you should be able to manipulate your data anyway you choose. If you have multiple CD/DVD drives Ubuntu should be able to burn the files to optical media if you choose.

During the reinstall, and depending on the size of your HDD, you may want to partition it to allow Windows perhaps 50 or 60 GB of space. and allow the rest of the drive for file storage. This can help present file saving disasters, such as the one you're experiencing now. However, be aware you will have to develop new data storage habits, such as moving your "My Documents" folder to the newly created "second HDD". This also requires re-targeting the desktop shortcuts, but, it's really no big deal.

Thanks for your help, i have since set my HDD up as a usb HDD on another computer so can access all my documents, going to reformat rather than mess about trying to fix it but at least i have got all my documents off it.

You are right about backing up my stuff but its such a chore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back