Problem cross-over networking, both IPs on 2 comps totally different

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 comps on a cross-over network. I had the network working b4 with ICS going also, I don't know what happened but now i cannot connect on network at all, ping other comp on network from either of the 2 computers or anything. When i checked the ips of the nic cards they both totally different one is 169.254.254.8 /subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and the other is 192.168.0.1 /subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (this one being the host computer with the internet connection.) When I try to repair connection on host computer it gives me an error messaging saying "The following steps of the repair operation failed: Purging the DNS Resolver cache. Please contact your network adminsitrator or ISP." on the other computer when I tell it to repair it says " The following steps of the repair operation have failed: renewing I.P. Address" Another thing, when I click on the LAN Connection on my host computer and check its properties, under the support tab where it list the ip address and subnet mask, under address type it says "manually configured" but on the other computer under address type it says "automatically configured" Both computers are running microsoft XP Home v2002 service pack 1. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)
-qball

You need to set static IP addresses on both computers as neither is set up as a DCHP server.

Are you trying to set up internet sharing or is this just for file sharing?

If its for internet sharing, set up ICS on the host PC. If not set up static IP addresses on both systems.

You need to set static IP addresses on both computers as neither is set up as a DCHP server.

Are you trying to set up internet sharing or is this just for file sharing?

If its for internet sharing, set up ICS on the host PC. If not set up static IP addresses on both systems

I'm trying to setup up internet sharing, I tried setting up ICS on host comp using Microsoft Network wizard, it worked b4 but no longer working, how do i setup static ip addresses? I think thats all i really need to do is fix my ip's or set them both to auto configure but I'm not quite sure how to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back