Problem installing GeF2-MX drivers with WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video driver problem with WinXP

does anyone know what i may be doing wrong?

i'm trying to upgrade the drivers for my geforce2mx card (currently using 12.40 drivers)
every time i install newer drivers (tried 21.83 and 23.11), win xp doesn't properly install them and reverts back to the old ones.

i uninstall the 12.40 drivers and double click on the self-executing file that i downloaded from nvidia, and everything looks like it's going fine, but as soon as the install is complete, i check the drivers and it's still version 12.40.

Problems can occur with nvidia drivers, specially in XP. Maybe if you gave us some more details, or maybe someone had something similar help could be found.

Keep in mind that Xp is rather new and that drivers still can have bugs in certain configs (maybe yours?).

You won't probably find the reason. It's only possible by stripping down hard and soft and find the cause. Trial and error my friend, all the way. :D

You should try manually adding them in device manager. If you do not know how, let me know and I will walk you through it.

Also, I would imagine some computer OEMs out there probably turn on the "Block" feature for unsigned drivers. This may be causing problems. You can turn it off by right clicking on "My Computer", then choose "Properties". The System Properties box will pop up, from there click on the "Hardware" tab. In the Hardware Tab, you will find a button that says, "Driver Signing". Click on this and select either "Warn" or "Ignore". You will need to be an adminstator on your computer to do this which means if you share your computer, you may not be able to change this setting without someone's approval.

Hey Rick,

thanks for the driver signing suggestion, i'll try that. as far as manually installing the drivers, every driver upgrade i have downloaded is a self-extracting installer that (supposedly) does everything for me and i just have to follow the prompts. how would i go about manually installing one of these?

thanks!

Actually the sfx file is a a zip archive, so you can use WinRAR/WinZip/WinAce or whatever to open and extract the files to a temporary directory, then open Device Manager -> Display adapter/Properties of Nvidia GeForce2 MX -> Driver/Update driver -> Install from a list or specific location -> Don't search I willl choose the driver -> have disk/browse to the location of extracted drivers.

Anyway, for GeForce2 you may want to try Detonator 16.30 XP (if you need, I will provide you a download site).

That sounds correct. Not self installing. Win/Zip usually places a file in "Temp" that you need to find & open. That's why when you save the file, you write down the name so you can find it later.

Here's what I do. Create a folder labeled "downloads" rather than use the "temp" folder. I use Alladin Expander (free) rather than WinZip. After you "decompress" it will stay in downloads. Look for the now visible file, & there will be a readme file & a setup or install file.

i don't know where you guys get your drivers from, but all of the drivers on the nvidia website are ".exe" files, not "sfx" or whatever you are talking about. if you know of somewhere i can download just the driver file, i'll give it a try, but i can't open or do anything to the .exe self-installing file except double-click on it and start the install.

Originally posted by jesymons
i don't know where you guys get your drivers from, but all of the drivers on the nvidia website are ".exe" files, not "sfx" or whatever you are talking about. if you know of somewhere i can download just the driver file, i'll give it a try, but i can't open or do anything to the .exe self-installing file except double-click on it and start the install.

What these people are talking about is the drivers you download from nVidia is really a zip-compressed archive that is made into an EXE. It is possible, using WinRar or Winzip, to open the EXE and extract the drivers from it just like a regular ZIP file.

If you can get the uncompressed drivers, then you should probably go ahead and do that if you are not familiar with ZIP files or compressed executables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back