Problem recieving mail outlook express

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

How can this be.

I have the 2 computers side by side, same OS xp home on the same broadband connection, not connecting through each other.

But on the laptop I can access the internet send email but get this message when trying to recieve.

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.jerseymail.co.uk', Server: 'mail.jerseymail.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 1531 octets.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I get a brief glimpse of the number of messages that are there before this message appears.

I have put the settings into the other machine and can send and recieve on that email account.
So I know i have the correct user names and passwords.
Any help much appreciated.:confused:

There is something in particular I would like you to try out.. might work, might not.

Mail account settings Tools/Accounts/Mail/Your_Account/Properties/Servers

"My server requires authentication" may need to be enabled. Please toggle this box off or on and OK the changes. Then check your mail and see if the same thing happens.

You may also want to verify the settings in this window correspond to those on your PC that works.

No,
I have tried that, I also deleted all email details, put in my own and got the same error message.
I have now put in original settings and am getting the same error.

The machine has also become painfully slow. I am going to look what I can uninstall.

I would just make a new identity with the same info. I have had problems with a virus that made my identity in outlook flawwed. You can transport your addressbook and your messages so you are at no real loss if you decide to try this.

thealphamale05, I'm not sure if you understood my answer- Virus protection software appears to be at fault, not a virus itself.

However, ptitterington, what he suggested isn't necessarily a bad idea, creating a new identity may clear out a faulty setting if you have one, catcing that one small detail you might have missed, and if the symptoms repeat it may provide more clues as to the nature of the problem.

Hope this helps..

I have deleted all settings and re done them. I have put in my details for my other email I cannot recieve.
It does sound like a norton problem and I am looking into that, Ill let you know thanks for the help.

ptitterington: I work for an ISP and do lots of technical support. I know many many people call with this exact same problem. It is probably our most frequent problem. 95% of the time it was never our server's but something on the customers PC.

We requested one lady to bring in her PC since she lived nearby and let us take a look at it to see if we could get Outlook Express working for her. Upon getting her PC in the office we tried sending/receiving email. Nothing I did or the other techie did worked. The other tech guy tried downloading a different email program other than Outlook Express and with that program he had no problems at all. Customers love to blame us that they can't connect but the fact is 95% of the time it has always been the customers pc's problem or customer error. Most of the time we are able to fix it but you can't always fix the problem because you have no idea what the culprit could be since it isn't your computer.

The point is I probably recommend trying another email program just for testing purposes this way you can eliminate that it maybe your ISP's server, and plus it eliminates other things that may be going on. So, if you try this, let us know what happens.

Outlook Express can literally be a pain in the butt because you may sit for hours trying to figure out what the problem is.

IMO, it really sounds like the culprit is something like Goalie mentioned. Maybe a virus scanner that you have installed or some other program that is running in the background.
Hmm.. maybe try pressing ALT+CTRL+DEL and end tasking any tasks that you dont need at the moment then trying Outlook again.

Thanks for the long reply.

She did have Incredimail installed at the same time and I thought that that was causing the problem so it was the first to go.
It continually displayed a message telling of 4 emails being recieved and whenever the machine was turned off it would warn about unsent email.
I deleted it and used reg cleaner to try and get rid of all traces in the registry.

I have reinstalled xp in the hope that there may have been some bits missing but am reluctant to do a format and clean install as the school techie has to install their network bits and pieces.

thanks again

Under account...properties...advanced...Do you have "This server requires SSL" checked? Based on your error it probably isn't.

If MS Office is installed then I would try using Outlook rather than Outlook Express.

Is there a personal firewall installed on the laptop? If so, does outlook have sufficient privledges there?

Do you have "My incoming mail server is a POP3 Server" selected?

I'm looking at Jerseymail's FAQ but I don't see anything out of the ordinary or helpful.

Thanks for the reply, I think I will check these settings again and probably go for Outlook.

I am still sure that there is a problem with the machine in general and I would like to wipe and re start but I will incur the wrath of the school as I cannot load their network and printer drivers and the school programmes.

I am really frustrated by the fact that She just cannot get the sims to work without crashing to the desktop and she sneaks in and uses my machine.

I have spent many hours updating drivers, deleting rubbish and checking settings.

ptitterington: Could we get some more detailed stats on the machine (mobo, vid/sound card, ram, processor, hd, etc.?) That might help, at least with the sims issue. Might give a clue on the email problems.

And not to be a broken record, but Outlook really is a more stable, connection wise, program than OE. Also easier to diagnose connection troubles with (more specific error codes). Particularly best if the server is an exchange server. (Most exchange servers can be connected to as pop/imap, but it's best in that case to use exchange..)

Push comes to shove, you can try a non-MS email client, like netscape.. but I'd suggest that as a last resort.

Well Ill try my best,
Laptops are harder to open up and see what is really in there.
But this Is what it should be.

Dell inspiron 2650 with a mobile pentium 4 (I think 2ghz)
We upgraded the graphics to the nvidia 64mb and the memory to 256ddram.
then usual dvdplayer/cdreaderwriter etc.

I visited the dell support site and was quite impressed how they can give the updated drivers off the product serial no.

most of my other machines are home built and getting the best drivers is much more trial and error and recommendation mostly off this forum.
thanks,
Any help appreciated.

ptitterington, r u using windows xp, what service pack, r u using norton antivirus 2002

i also encountered ur problem in outlook express,

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.jerseymail.co.uk', Server: 'mail.jerseymail.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK 1531 octets.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Have u solve ur problem?

on solution that i found is to disable NAV email scanning:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2001082921552806?Open

do you have any more solution that you can give me. tnx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back