Problem reinstalling windows - Cant enter Bios setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had decided to reinstalll windows so i inserted the XP Pro disk and everything was fien until the computer rebooted as part of the install prodcedure jsut after formatting the hard disk. when i then tried ot start it up it froze on the windows boot screen. So i decided to change the boot order, from its default which was cdrom then hard disk, and i think i changed it to the hard disk before the the cd rom. Now when i start i get the
Ram check etc. then jsut a black screen. And when i try to insert the Xp disk the same thing happens. I also can now no longer enter the bios setup as when i press f2 it says entering bios then just does nothing ( I tried leaving it on theis for a while and nothnig happened)
I cant boot from a floppy as its a laptop without a floppy drive. Any Help would be appreciated :)

Update: I have just switched my laptop on again and i have been able ot get inot the bios, i am now reodering the boot sequence to the one reccomended in the manual:
  1. Removable devices
  2. CD-ROM
  3. Hard Drive
  4. Network Boot
But now i have the same problem without the disk it freezes on startup on the boot screen and with the disk it enters the install procedure again

Your only alternative is: 1)CD, 2)HD, rest unimportant.
Make sure your CD is clean, no fingerprints etc.
If you have not made any hardware changes since the laoptop last ran, it should work for a re-install.

I have tired renistalling , i get exactly the same problem after the computer reboots after copying setup files it just freezes on the windows boot screen

ok i will try that i have noticed the cd has a few scratches on the bottom so i guess this could be the problem, thanks ill let you know what happens

I have tired with a diffrent windows cd and still not luck, i have the same problem, it freezes on the boot screen

I have also heard of a friend that the problem could be that the xp disk includes sp2, is this a known problem?

The long way around would be to try installing Windows 98 on it.
Make 2 partitions, both formatted in Fat32.
Install W98 on the first partition. As soon as it is up and running, put your XP-cd in and copy EVERYTHING to the second partition.
Then boot W98 into DOS. Go to the second partition with XP-files, and install XP from there (either Setup or Install, whichever program is there.
Let it wipe out W98, reformat the first partition in NTFS, then keep your fingers crossed when it starts installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back