Problem removing Fedora Dual Boot Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I have checked around and cant seem to find a resolution to the issue i'm having, firstly thanks for taking your time to help me with this.

I have windows XP installed on my Sony Vaio AR-11M, I recently installed Fedora Linux, and removed it again.. Since this time I still have the Dual Boot Menu appear each time I boot up, and have to down arrow to 'other' before it will let me into windows, if I dont do this it will directly boot into Fedora (which then fails because its not there)

How do I remove this please? I have searched for a boot.ini file on my computer and the only result is boot.ini.backup in c:\windows\pss

Thanks very much

Hi,

Fedora will have installed it`s own bootloader (GRUB),

and that remains even when you delete the OS itself.

To reinstate the Windows bootloader you have to boot

to the XP Recovery Console on the CD,then use the

fixboot and fixmbr commands. See HERE for details,

and HERE if you get complications.

I am on a Sony Vaio so it has its own Recovery Partition, problem is, when I reboot when it prompts it shows the menu instead of going into dos to begin the process, and when i press 'other' it boots back into windows

If you have no XP CD,I suggest you go HERE

download one of the 98 iso files and burn it to a CD,(burn as an iso,not a normal

data disk) then boot to that and type fdisk /mbr at the prompt.

More HERE if you need it.

Really appreciate your help with this, problem is I dont have CDROM in my Bios Setup for Boot order, floppy, hard disk, optical hard disk or network :S

How did you install Fedora,exactly ?

I`ve read that Vaios do can boot from a USB floppy,

so failing all else you could go that route.

Floppy boot disks HERE

Sorry my bad, the optical drive was the cdrom haha.. Ive managed to remove it now, wouldnt have without you however, thanks very much for your help.. ps what u heard about the USB floppy is nonsense ;), in my case at least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back