Problem with BFG Geforce 6600 OC 256mb AGP GFX card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently purchased a BFG Geforce 6600 OC 256mb AGP graphics card but am unable to get this running correctly on my system.

My spec:

PC: Formally HP Pavillion 491.uk - now rehoused
Mobo: FIC VI31
Bios: 3.12
Bios Core: V6.0
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.2ghz
RAM: 1024mb DDR SD 2100

I have connected this to my 500w PSU and have the latest drivers Nvidia installed. I have an AGP 4X slot and the card is compatible with 2,4 and 8X slots.

But when gaming I'm getting results such as these:

BF2gfx01.jpg

BF2gfx02.jpg

Thats on Battlefield 2 running 1024x768 with all gfx settings on Medium. I also have gfx issues in other games such as Star Wars: Empire At War but am unable to take a screenshot in that.

The card's tech support have suggested I make sure I have the latest BIOS installed and my chipset drivers are up to date. I have the latest BIOS according to the HP site but have now since found some new drivers for my SiS AGP chipset and have downloaded the zip file but don't know now what to do with it... I have unzipped it to a folder and clicked on the setup.exe file but this just results in an error messgae 103 - 'Unable to find SETUP.DLL' when that file is in the same folder...

Any help with how I should use the zip file or solve this issue is much appreciated :)

i'd expect as much from an HP. update your nvidia drivers to the latest version from nvidia, and update your games to thier latest patches. this usually clears up problems of this nature. are you still using an OEM version of windows (HP's)?

I found this complete driver set v2.22, which seems to be the latest. You only need the AGP driver, so run the setup file in the AGP folder. If it doesn't work then you'll have to try and install it manually.

zephead said:
i'd expect as much from an HP. update your nvidia drivers to the latest version from nvidia, and update your games to thier latest patches. this usually clears up problems of this nature. are you still using an OEM version of windows (HP's)?

Thanks for your reply.

GFX drivers and games patches are at their latest. I am using the OEM version of WinXP that came installed on this machine...

peterdiva said:
I found this complete driver set v2.22, which seems to be the latest. You only need the AGP driver, so run the setup file in the AGP folder. If it doesn't work then you'll have to try and install it manually.

Thanks for the link peterdiva.

Downloaded and tried to install that file but got an error message saying the VGA device is not recognised!!!

Managed to find another SiS AGP driver from around Nov 2005 and installed that ok but there has been no change to gfx performance.

here's a test game on Star Wars: Empire at War after the update:

SWEAWgfx.jpg

Please keep the suggesitons and help coming :)

this could be caused by your card alone. can you get your hands on another 6600? if not, perhaps a local PC repair technician or shop will be able to test with replacement parts for you.

Help is on its way!

There have been so many problems with the nvidia Geforce 6600 *.*. But know i have come to my knowledge that it i a program that can help you out with the problems its called "Rive.." somting I have it at home. It fixxes that frequency on your G-card so it can communicate with your motherboard with the right signals. otherwise (During the time u wait u can use the old Drivers 6.6.9 they shud work fine to all games. Maybe the games are going a little bit slower but not so mutch.) I will paste the Links later to the program and Guides for it.

Goran_Torpare said:
There have been so many problems with the nvidia Geforce 6600 *.*. But know i have come to my knowledge that it i a program that can help you out with the problems its called "Rive.." somting I have it at home. It fixxes that frequency on your G-card so it can communicate with your motherboard with the right signals. otherwise (During the time u wait u can use the old Drivers 6.6.9 they shud work fine to all games. Maybe the games are going a little bit slower but not so mutch.) I will paste the Links later to the program and Guides for it.

Did you mean Riva Tuner?? It can be found HERE

are you using the proprietary HP power supply? if so, it could be the cause by not providing sufficient power for the card.

I agree with zephead. The standard power supply from HP should be having a very hard time with a 6600.

I just noticed that your card is factory-overclocked, isn`t it? Can you tell us the card`s clocks?
You should return them to nvidia`s specifications. Overclocked cards tend to have some problems.

Okej, I have changed my G-card now. 6600 have problems with the Gigabyte mothercards. So if u have freeze problems with 6600 and a Gigabyte mothercard, send the G-card back to the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back