Problem with broadcom wireless network adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

pin0ydude

Hi there - my wireless adapter seems like its dead.

My laptop isn't detecting it and I cannot connect to wireless networks. The light to indicate if the wireless is on or not, is showing orange (off) instead of blue (on), when in fact the switch is in the 'on' position.

I've tried installing the broadcom driver again, but it didn't help. I'm just about to call up HP to have it serviced, unless anyone has any suggestions?

What really gets to me, is that my laptop is just about 1 and a 1/2 years old and this is the second time this exact same problem has occurred. Last time this happened, it was almost at the end of the warranty and I was able to have it repaired under the warranty. Now, I'm guessing I'll have to pay for the repair - the warranty is finished.
This second problem has occurred during a SHORTER time span - in about 4-5 months! Last time, HP's affiliates who repaired it, said the problem was the motherboard, so the motherboard was replaced (or was it just repaired?)

So I'm out of ideas. I don't even use the wireless much. Most of the time I'm connected to the internet via ethernet. What actually causes this problem?
Does anyone know how much having this repaired or having the wireless adapter or motherboard replaced would cost?

My laptop is a Compaq V3118au in case anyone's interested lol.

Sorry for my essay :)

Thanks for your help

i know this problem. first, try to update your BIOS. if this will helps so, the problem disappeared.
second problem connected with southbridge chip(mini-PCI-express is bus which connected directly to southbridge)
third. i recommend to sell this laptop. this platform has VERY BAD QUALITY of motherboard and has development errors(lack of northbridge and videochip heatsink). HP tried to fix this problem with new BIOS in which they changed passive thermal cooling temperature, but this is not right way.
and fourth :) try to replace the Wi-Fi adapter. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back