Problem with my Radeon 9600 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I boght a ATI Radeon 9600 pro 256 MB card in September last year.. I didn't have much time to use it cause I was serving my military duty.
Now that I'm done with that junk I have lots of time..

Whenever I play games require 3d, suddenly my screen goes black and the monitor just says that there's no input. The sound just loops...
Sometimes it takes half an hour, sometimes 3 minutes..

So I downloaded the newest drivers for my graphics card (and monitor card 'n XP serv. pck.2 as well).. deleted the old ones and installed these, hoping that'd change something. And it ran for about an hour then it started doing the same old crap.

So I lowered the AGP from 8x to 4x, disabled fasttext and even lowered the graphic accelleration....
it ran GTA San Andreas for about 5 minutes and then the screen froze.. it didn't black out it just froze... and remained frozen..
and I'm REALLY tired of it...

I have an AMD Athlon 2800+
with 1024 MB pc3200 RAM

I've been thinking that it may be because it's overheating?
But I don't really know that much about the technical computer stuff...
can anyone help?

Welcome home.
There are alot of issues with the 9600 series cards and nForce 2 motherboards. To see if its heat related, remove the side of the case and let a large fan blow into while you're gaming.

you can also try running an in-place fft torture test using prime95 (google it to find a download site). this causes strenuous use of the cpu, motherboard, and power supply, but not the video card. if your computer fails before completing a half-hour of testing, then you can reasonably believe the video card is not the cause. try both reccomendations, though.

I bought a fan and made it blow in to the side of my computer..
Now my computer suddenly crashes, either the picture just stays at one frame.. or it turns black... But my screen doesn't come up with the 'No Signal' message anymore, it's just all black...

I checked out the error logs... it says that it got stuck in an 'infinite loop' .... what the??? ..... I already downloaded all the newest drivers so that's not the problem....

zerg!!!

Alucard said:
I bought a fan and made it blow in to the side of my computer..
Now my computer suddenly crashes, either the picture just stays at one frame.. or it turns black... But my screen doesn't come up with the 'No Signal' message anymore, it's just all black...

I checked out the error logs... it says that it got stuck in an 'infinite loop' .... what the??? ..... I already downloaded all the newest drivers so that's not the problem....

zerg!!!

I don't know about the error log but I hope your fan is not blowing air into the side of your computer. The fan on the side of the computer is supposed to blow out not in, it needs to take heat away from the system and blow it out of the case. If it is blowing air into the side of the case it is only recirculating hot air around the CPU which will cause it to overheat. The only fan if any that should be blowing air into your system is the one mounted in the front of your case, probably just in front of your hard drive.

naw, using a table fan blowing into an open case will reduce temps without a doubt. how did your prime95 test turn out?

wuts ur PSU? wattage? wut do u have plugged in it.. this use to happen to me before.. n it was the PSU.. too weak.. do what zephead told u.. run that prime95 n test ur other hardwares

yep

I already did that. But it seems like it needs to be online to run the tests... maybe I'm not doing it the right way? :knock:

in the prime95 main window, open up the 'options' menu. select 'torture test'. in the windows that pops up, select 'in place fft' (it even says max heat, power) and let it run for at least half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back