Solved Problem with norton antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansh1993

hello people ,
i have purchased norton 360 security 2 months back and there has been an unusual problem every time i scan my pc it detects 6risks(tracking cookie) and it resolves them. after some days when i again scan my pc then it again detect those tracking cookies and then fixes them . this process goes on & on .

thanks in advance !!!

It's not a problem with Norton> it's with your settings! Unless you reset the Cookies to block 3rd party Cookies, you will get them back when ever you visit a site that has an ad or image or other with a Tracking Cookie embedded.

What are Tracking Cookies?
Tracking cookies are only created to track a users movement. The movement can still only be tracked if the user visits a website that displays the advertisement scripts of the company that has a cookie stored on the system. Tracking cookies raise privacy issues, as they allow companies to partially track an Internet user’s movement on the Internet.

The difference between First Party and Third Party Cookies:
A first party cookie is placed by the website itself. For instance,TechSpot will leave a First Party Cookie. A third party cookie is placed by scripts from other services, mostly advertisements that are loaded on the page. So you might find 3rd party Cookies from any ads on the site.

Reset Cookies

For Internet Explorer: Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab> Advanced button> CHECK 'override automatic Cookie handling'> CHECK 'accept first party Cookies'> CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'> CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.

For Firefox: Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies> CHECK ‘accept Cookies from Sites’> UNCHECK 'accept third party Cookies'> Set Keep until 'they expire'. This will allow you to keep Cookies for registered sites and prevent or remove others. (Note: for Firefox v3.5, after Privacy click on 'use custom settings for History.')

I suggest using the following two add-on for Firefox. They will prevent the Tracking Cookies that come from ads and banners and other sources:
AdBlock Plus
Easy List

For Chrome: Tools> Options> Under The Hood> Privacy Section> CHECK 'Restrict how third party Cookies can be used'> Close.
(First-party and third-party cookies can be set by the website you're visiting and websites that have items embedded in the website you're visiting. But when you next visit the website, only first-party cookie information is sent to the website. Third-party cookie information isn't sent back to the websites that originally set the third-party cookies.)

This should make Norton happier!

thanks for the quick reply .

i have done as you said . but still nothing seems to happen .
im using Google chrome & internet explorer

thanks once again

hi ,
thanks again for your help .

"i have done as you said . but still nothing seems to happen ."
i actually wanted norton to stop detecting those cookies again and again .
im little bit worried as i also do some e-shopping from sites like amazon . so im concern that my information doesn't go to any 3rd party .

thanks again .

the problem has been resolved it was an update problem . norton automatically updated itself and the problem has gone .

thank you, Bobbye for your assistance and cooperation in helping me solve the problem .

once again
thank you .

You're welcome. But I don't think you understand what Norton was continuing to do. There are a gazillion Tracking Cookies on the internet. Many of them are 'regulars' and somewhere on every site. Most security programs are set to block the Domains such as 'doubleclick.com', rightmedia.com, coremetrics.net, etc. If they are not set to do this or if your setting allow the acceptance of third party Cookies, then you will get those Cookies whenever you visit a site that has them.

The Norton update is only part of the 'fix'. Please go on and reset the Cookies per my instructions. That way, you are taking some of the responsibility for the security of your system proactively and not depending on one program to do it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back