Problem with some functions on my Dell Latitude D600 keyboard

Hi,

I am having the following problems with my keyboard: space bar, back, arrow keys, numbers, letter - you press it once and then it just won't type it a second time until you wait for some time and then go at it again; cannot strike any key twice or more in a row (for example if I try to type "kibble", the second b won't show up)

I thought it may be the keyboard that was the problem so I purchased a new replacement, installed it and the problems still weren't fixed! :confused:

Anybody know what the actual problem may be??

Mikahmom

Safe Mode (its about XP but same true for vista and Win7)

You might also try reinstalling the keyboard driver
> Open Device Manager
> Look under Keyboard category
> Rt click Uninstall. Now use your mouse to reboot. and keyboard will be reinstalled on reboot

Ok, I tried running in safe mode -- no change
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the key board -- no change

Backspace still won't work, and if I try to type double letters (eg, kettle, faffle, dogged etc) then I have to wait 5-10 seconds to rehit the second of the double letters before it shows up... this is aggravating *sigh* I was really hoping that it was something I could fix easily myself and I wouldn't have to pay big $$ to get it looked at...

Ok, I tried running in safe mode -- no change
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the key board -- no change
Hmm.. well, since you say you've already tried replacing the keyboard? So you don't think it's they keyboard hardware itself?

We might also try checking the keyboard driver files. Open Device Manager again, you see just the one keyboard listed, right?
> Rt click Properties
> Click the Driver tab, click Details button
> Now select each driver file and check
===> Is each file digitally signed? And who is the provider?
===> Do you have any non-signed OR non-Microsoft driver files listed among the keyboard driver files??

Hmm.. well, since you say you've already tried replacing the keyboard? So you don't think it's they keyboard hardware itself?

We might also try checking the keyboard driver files. Open Device Manager again, you see just the one keyboard listed, right?
> Rt click Properties
> Click the Driver tab, click Details button
> Now select each driver file and check
===> Is each file digitally signed? And who is the provider?
===> Do you have any non-signed OR non-Microsoft driver files listed among the keyboard driver files??

Yes, I purchased a new keyboard and installed it on my laptop last night.

Okay, I did as you suggested... when I opened Device Manager it just shows the one keyboard, but then I checked the drivers it showed two -- both are digitally signed by MicroSoft Publisher and have green check marks beside them... what now?

both are digitally signed by MicroSoft Publisher and have green check marks beside them... what now?

Hmmmm.. i dunno. i'm stumped :(

Only other thing i can think (maybe someone else has other ideas)....

I've seen this keyboard test tool but never used it myself so can't advise you on using or running it.. So don't know if that'll help other then it's free for 30days so shouldn't cost you anything to see if it may have any answers?

Hope you can get your problem figured out

Back