Problems adding new memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Ive just bought a new 512Mb memory card and installed it in my PC (in the second DIM slot - next to my original 512Mb). When I start the PC there is nothing on the screen and it just beeps (on and off). If tryed the new memory on its own in the PC and it seems to work fine.. it just won't work with the original card. Is there something Im missing? I read in another thread the PSU could be causing the problem.... any help would be much appreciated...???? Many thanks Paul

your two ram sticks are incompatible, you should have checked before you got a second stick. you can use the diagnostic program called "cpu-z" to check out your machine's specs and the RAM information.

try booting the pc with one stick and entering the bios. increase the memory timing values, and try booting with both sticks installed. you might have to play around awhile, but you may be able to find a working configuration.

just remember to take precautions to aviod shorting out your system - unplug the box whne working on it, and protect yourself from static electricity buildup.

Zephead.. Many thanks for the help. Strange cos the new memory stick is exactly the same spec as the original one (both 512Mb DDR PC3200 400Mhz). Ive tried permutations of the BIOS memory settings and now have a working combination...!! Good advice.. cheers Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back