Problems installing video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike08

Ok so I got this new video card- ATI 9250SE 128mb,
I installed it into the pc, well to be precise what I did was uninstall the current drivers and software for the old video card,
then shutdown computer, removed the old video card- then I installed the new card (ATI 9250SE) and booted the computer, the 'found new hardware' stuff comes up, I go to install the driver for it, then the screen goes blank, and there's no signal. So after about a minute the screen goes blank- each time. Help me out here!!

Yeah that happened to me alot too, couldnt really find out what happened so I took it to bestbuy and they fixed it. I think it's a problem when you install it and the computer has to get "Use" to the new settings or something so it makes the monitor go crazy

What mobo do you have and are you 100% sure it supports your new graphics card? Also, what was your old card?

Are both cards the same factor? i.e. are they both PCI or both AGP?

Which flavor of 9200 and 9250SE did you wind up with?

Also, why did you go from a 9200 to a 9250SE? Was there something you were hoping to gain there?

They are both AGP, the reason for going for 9250SE is because my 9200 was only 64mb instead of 128mb, due to bad service (the repairing people gave me the wrong card, and I've had the 64mb for a long time without realising).

I'd say so!! If you want a little more performance with little extra cost, see if you can exchange it for a 9550, i use one and highly rate it for its cost, it was only £36.

I'm with rik here too. You actually took a major step DOWN between the 9200 and 9250SE. While you gained a little extra vram, you lost half your memory bandwidth (SE=64 bit, full = 128 bit).

Honestly, if your system has AGP 4x at the minimum, your older 64mb card would likely perform better in games as the 64-bit memory controller on the SE is similar in performance to AGP DIME/execute mode (i.e. texturing over the bus).

A 9550 would be a better choice, or a 9250 128mb (non-SE). With ATI's, consider "SE" to mean "Sucky Edition" lol.

Yeah, a 9550 would be fine. If ur looking to game, go for a 9600PRO/XT instead. It will give u better gaming performance than the 9550/9250.

Wow thanks for the input guys!

I'm looking at the 9600 XT and I'm starting to wonder if it would work, is there anyway it won't be compatible with my monitor?

Mike08 said:
Wow thanks for the input guys!

I'm looking at the 9600 XT and I'm starting to wonder if it would work, is there anyway it won't be compatible with my monitor?
I don't think so. Go ahead, I'm sure it won't give u any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back