Problems installing WinXP Pro on new SATA 300Gb Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to install XP Pro onto a new machine with a 300 Gb SATA hard drive.
I have been able to get the drive seen albeit only as a 132 Gb but the XP installation just loops around - it sees the partition, copies files then reboots back to the start.
I realise that I am probably missing something obvious but any help would be appreciated.

I don't clearly understand the problem, but it brings to mind a similar problem that I had with XP and SATA. During the XP setup...perhaps the first screen, at the bottom of the screen, it prompts for any additional drivers...I think that it requires you to press F6. The setup will then continue, until you get a screen that asks for the drivers. In my case, I had to load a floppy which came with the motherboard, for the SATA Raid controller. Even if raid wasn't desired, this driver had to be installed.

i may sound stupid for posting this or i may make you look stupid. lets see how this goes. did you remember to switch the primary boot device back to hdd-0? ive had that happen before. i watched everything finish installing and when it got to the reboot screen i got up to take a dump. came back down and it was back at the drive partition screen thingy.

I have exactly the same problem, except when the machine reboots after loading the XP installation files I get a message on screen saying "error loading operating system". I have a Diamond Max 10 200GB SATA hard drive and I have loaded the SATA drivers from a floppy that came with the mainboard. Can anyone help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back