Problems with Emachine computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Emachine for about 4yrs now. 2 weeks ago I turned it on and it turned right back off, I thought it was the power supply, but it wasnt. I took it to Best Buy, told me it was the motherboard. I dont want to spend money on another mother board since emachine sucks, I already spent $400 last year to get my cd drive fixed. U guys say an ATX motherboard is good and cheap, its way better than an emachine mobo. The problem is I dont know which ATX mobo(a good one) to get for my emachine. I have an emachine W3050, AMD Sempron processor 3000+, NVDIA Geforce4 MX video, nforce2 audio.

Please respond

If you want to replace the motherboard in that PC you're going to have a semi-diffcult time. I assume you need a Socket 939 motherboard for that CPU and they're not exactly easy to come by these days (unless you resort to Ebay).

Just so you know, it appears as if your current video card is integrated - unless the replacement motherboard has an integrated video card, you'll have to buy one that attaches to an expansion slot.

You should probably measure the space you have in your case for your motherboard to be sure the new one will fit. Even if you know it's of the ATX form-factor, the screw holes will be in the same position but the length/width of the board will vary a bit.

usually with e-crap machines, the PSU also takes out the mobo. So if the mobo is bad, the PSU was probably flakey as well.

You're better off building a new system and salvaging whatever parts you can.

You are aware, I hope, that once you change the motherboard to any other board without the eMachines EEPROM code, your Windows Recovery/Restore set of discs will not work with that drive. Further, the drive will not boot because Windows will detect that the hardware has been changed.
You will be wise to buy a motherboard CPU combo... they are plentiful at all the major online sites such as www.tigerdirect.com, www.directron.com, www.newegg.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.outpost.com and so on...
Then there is the matter of whether the power supply is adequate, and whether the memory will fit and work in the new board.
I agree with Tedster. Buy the parts and start fresh. But you will also need a Windows install disc... or move over to Linux or other operating system software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back