Problems with MB/CPU/DVDRW, and cpu underclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my old dvd drive was playing up, not able to read dvd's properly, and when installing large games, getting "redundency cyclic errors" when it had installed about 75% of the files... So i thought it's about time i bought myself a new drive, so i bought the Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1H, and plugged it all in, everything seemed fine, worked ok, and installed the game i was having difficulty installing straight away.

So had a couple of reboots to do, and all was seemingly fine. Then whilst playing, the computer crashed and rebooted itself, got hit with a wonderful blue screen, saying something about IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL i think, thought oh well, jsut reboot and it'll be fine, but got hit with another one, and then a different one PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, started getting confused, so thought ok, i'll take the new drive out, see if that fixes the problem... didnt, so went to the barebone system, and tried with just the cpu/gfx/hdd/mem installed, still getting errors, tried with a clean hdd and a xp boot disk, and had problems again. and now started to get PFN_LIST_CORRUPT errors, as well as the standard 0x0000007E errors.

finally thought to update the bios, ran the new one for my board (1013) and it all worked, got my comp back up and running, with all components operational. so did some work, adn went to bed turning the computer off. Woke up this morning and started getting the bsod again, and though great what now! so reflashed the bios, and all worked fine, except it did a POST for the cpu as an AMD ATHLON XP 1800+, which was incorrect, so changed it back to the correct settings for a 2400+ (15x133) and it booted in fine, and then when restarting, it would crash into a bsod. Now the computer will only work at an underclocked value of 15x100MHz,

has anyone got any ideas how i can fix this? or is the mb on it's way out?

any ideas are much appreciated!

Adz

PFN (Page Frame Database) IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, 0x7e. Could be a lot of things. Bad cable, memory, hard drive, mobo. Disable BIOS caching in the BIOS. Download and run memtest86 to check your memory. Go to sysinternals.com/microsoft and download pagedfrg and follow directions for defragging your paging file. Or go to system properties/advanced tab/performance/advanced tab, and try moving your paging file to a different partition, or just deleting it, rebooting and recreate it after you defragment your hard drive. In my computer, right click on the hard drive, hit properties, then tools and hit the check now button in error checking. It will say it can't do it now but can if you reboot. Say OK then reboot and let it check your hard drive for bad sectors. You will need to do that for each partition if you have more than 1. Hard drive makers usually have diagnostics you can download and run to check the hard drive for problems. That's more thorough than just doing the chkdsk with windows. The 0x7e error is sometimes caused by a faulty NTFS system on the hard drive. If it's corrupted you may have to do a repair install or eventually a full reinstall of the windows. If you downloaded and installed any new drivers recently, try uninstalling those as well as it may just be a bad driver. Sometimes the 0x7e error message points you toward a driver. look for that. Whatever you try, the fact that one of the errors is pointing to a possible hard drive problem, I would start backing up my important data before anything else, unless you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back