Antec 1650B case with 350 W power supply
AMD Athlon64 3200+
Asus A8V motherboard
BFG 5500 OC 256 MB Gforce AGP video card
Western Digital IDE 160 GB Hard Drive
LG CD/DVD R/R burner
1024 MB (2x512) generic Memory
56K HSP56 Modem

Here’s the problem. When I try to boot up into windows, sometimes it works and sometimes not. When it does boot up into Windows, The screen flickers (I tried to lower the refresh rate). I have installed the latest video driver and no change. If I turn the system off and try to turn it back on, No video signal. Sometimes when it does boot into windows, the video signal will cut out just as it’s loading into the logon screen and then restart the PC. I will admit that I have heard the hard drive tick on occasion.
Here is what I have tried. I have tried another video card (AGP and PCI). I have tried using another hard drive. It did allow me to reinstall the OS but after rebooting several times, the video cuts out again on startup. I have sent the MB back to Asus and they say there is nothing wrong. I’m running out of ideas. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I’m trying to focus on one part but every time I try another part, it keeps coming back. I can only assume one of two components is the cause. Either the video card, or the MB was not tested enough.

Any thoughts

I'll second what P1N3ST says above. Power supply is a likely suspect.

If you can boot up long enough to get into your bios, check the voltage readings on the +3.3v, +5v and +12v rails and see what kind of readings it is giving you.

Another possibility would be your ram. Download www.memtest.org and run it on your computer (if you can).

I am assuming you have this problem even if you boot up into safe mode?

Hi Guys. Thanks for the reply posts. I'm going to see about the voltage settings and I'll let you know. Worst case, I'll swap out the PS to test. System works fine in safe mode. I can reboot 5 or 10 times without a problem and then (like now) nothing.

I'll keep you posted.

Robsky1

All fixed. Thanks

Hi All

Thanks for your help on this. It was the PS. Don't know why I diden't see it before. I guess cause it was intermittent, it threw me off. She's up and running and I have it on test for the next few days.

A BIG thank you to FIN3ST & DonNagual. You know your stuff.

Have a great weekend.

Robsky1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back