Problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone be using the same MB as me, the ASUS P3V4X to be precise. If so or if not, would anyone have knowledge of whether or not this Motherboard support a Hard-drive of @ least 100GB. To be precise I bought a Western Digital 120 GB Harddrive, specs are below:

Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM Capacities: 120 GB
Interface: Ultra ATA/100 Average Read Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Buffer Size: 2 MB

URL: http://www.westerndigital.com/products/products.asp?DriveID=12

I seek knowledge from Higher Powers :p

I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work...

Granted, you won't get to use it's full potential speedwise (as your mobo only support DMA/66 and not DMA/100), but you should be able to use the drive...

I'm checking over at Asus right now though, and I'll post back as soon as I can find any concrete info...

[EDIT] It seems like all their sites are getting hammered right now... I can barely get access to their tech support site, and that is painfully slow...[/EDIT]

if that is a ata 66 then it is probably going to require a bios flash to get past the 37 GB barrier that older bios's had. hopefully there is such a bios update. ASUS is usually pretty good about updating their bio's. check and make sure you have the latest available bios for you board.

Re: Re: Problems??

Ah, finally found it, and got the page to load... China finally managed to load it....

As slow Asus' servers are, you should think they'd have started pre-orders of the FX Ultra to 399$ USD...
But since they haven't...

Anyway, over to your question:
Can the p3v4x support harddrives larger than 100GB?

The answer to that is:
Yes :) The p3v4x can support harddrives over 100 GB, (actually up to 127 GB)

You may need to update your BIOS as iss said... You can find a link to the latest BIOShere (and if you're lucky, the page will even load....)

Also if you use the install diskete that came with your WD hard drive it has a feature called ez bios in it which will check your Bio's to see if it will support that hard drive and will modify the Bios to do so if it finds that the bios does not support the larger drive. you should still update your bios from ASUS though if there is a newer bios available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back