Processor upgrade in HP Pavilion D4000

Mark Fuller

I have a hp pavillion d4000 and I want to upgrade the processor. It has a 3.2 ghz amd but when I go to hp's website to see what the max processor I can put in it it hasl only a 2.4 ghz processor listed in the replacement parts list.

Hmmm pretty hard to find a spec list for the specific model apparently its a socket 939 if you go into device manager and tell me what processor you already have I can find you a suitable replacement :)

Now I'm confused. I did read somewhere that you could get up to a 3.8 ghz processor but I don't remember where.

I looked once again on hp's website and it says it has a socket 939 but it has an intel pentium d cpu @ 3.2 ghz according to device manger and system information.

There are 2 model tags on my hp pavillion. The one on the service tag says the system is a d4000 but on the front of the system under the intel tag there is another model tag that says that it is a d4100y. So I am assuming that it is really a d4100y because it indeed has an Intel pentium d 3.2 ghz processor.

There were probably many models made that were named D4000E. I'm sure some of them were AMD and some were Intel based. You'll need a different number to be sure of what you have. I'd crack open the case and look at the model name/number of the motherboard to be sure.

Is this your motherboard?
All the links I see for the D4000Y point to one of these motherboards. From the links above it would seem that the LGA775 CPU socket only supports Pentium D 800 series at 3.2GHz. At least from HP's point of view.

There are forums that mention a Pentium D 900 series CPU working on the motherboard. However if you choose to go outside of HP's CPU support list you are gambling with success rates. Personally I don't see that much of a performance advantage in upgrading an LGA775 platform, especially at so little performance gain. I would only purchase parts for an LGA775 platform to keep them functional.

If its intel based then I would recomend a core 2 duo/quad
How can you recommend something without first knowing if it will work? We are not even sure which motherboard is in the system. If you have proof that a Core2 Duo will work in his system then we are all ears.

If its 775 and hes got a pentium D then thats pretty much the only step up?
Not all LGA775 motherboards will support Core2 Duo. Manufacturers can modify the system BIOS and chipsets, which will very often limit the motherboard (including CPU compatibility). And to be honest, I think this is one of those cases.

Ah I see, sorry im too used to thinking about pc's I make myself without board limitations like you mentioned.

Maybe I should explain to you gentlemen what is really going on. I installed a blue ray drive in my system, only to find out that I did not have a video card sufficient to the run blue ray. So I installed an ATI Radeon 4800 in the PCIe slot and maxed out the memory for the motherboard at 4 gb. The manufacturer of the blue ray drive lists the 3.2 ghz processor as being one on the lower end of the spectrum for being capable of running the blue ray drive(just barely enough according to the manufacturers specs). I have not tried the blue ray drive yet with a blue ray movie but all other graphics applications(downloaded videos, dvd's, etc.) are magnificent. After I try a blue ray movie I will decide if it is satisfactory and then continue to do more research if it is not. I appreciate all the excellent tech support you gents have given. Also, the motherboard is a P5LP-LE(Lithium).

Is there anyway you could swing an upgrade for a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Operating System?

For $250 you could have a system with 3 times CPU power, the same amount of memory, and a few motherboard enhancements. Even if you could upgrade to a quad core, you could upgrade your whole system to comparable performance for about the same price. Building a new system would allow for future upgrade possibilities.
I've heard good things about ASRock and I really like the board layout. I think you would be very pleased with it. The addition of SATA 3.0, you would be able to take advantage of SSD performance. Not only do you have USB 3.0 ports on the back there is an internal port for front panel USB 3.0 usage. Unless you absolutely want to install the Radeon HD 4800, you may find that the motherboard graphics on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are very suitable for Blue-ray playback.

I cripple the CPU to cut the price considerably, I normally only recommend the i3, i5, or i7 CPU's. However the Celeron G540 still has 3 times the processing power of a Pentium D 840. This is at the bottom of the list of supported processors, a $200 processor (Core i5-3550) can be purchased for 9 times the processing power of a Pentium D 840.

I held back to 4GB matching the capacity of what you currently have but would probably be faster. If you wish it the motherboard will support 32GB of memory. However in most cases, memory usage never exceeds 8GB. I have 8GB in my machine and very rarely ever see it spike over 4GB. Even though stayed at

If you are using an OEM version of windows then you will need a new copy of Windows when upgrading motherboards. An OEM license will only allow for replacing the board with the same make and model.

I think so in the future but not right now. By the way, Microsoft isn't microsoft offering a free upgrade to windows 7?

By the way, Microsoft isn't microsoft offering a free upgrade to windows 7?
Only if you purchased a PC that includes the deal for a free upgrade. However that would not be valid if you are changing motherboards. The Windows Upgrade would be for upgrading the current Windows license on the PC you received the deal for. If you upgrade the motherboard, you would be invalidating the current OEM license not to mention the upgrade deal.

If you bought your system with vista between 09 and 2010 I think im not sure and it dosent apply to home basic either I think

Back