Processor Woes. Mobile Pentium 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
First things first. I got this PC off my brother when he got his new one. Some things are rather disturbing me about it.

For one, it appears to have a Mobile Pentium 4 chipset inside. Now I may feel a bit stupid here but aren't they designed for Laptops?

Another thing is the processor is designed for multiple performance modes. Intel's Processor Advisor tells me the expected speed is 3.06ghz, yet the reported speed is a mere 1.6ghz, just over half of the expectation.

I've already flashed my BIOS in a vain attempt to get it working full speed and the update from the Intel site doesn't work.

Should I buy a new Processor or is there a way to fix this faggotry?

If it is a Mobile P4, and it's just reporting 1.6Ghz, it may be in a "power saving mode".

If you fire up a game or a demanding application, it should ramp up to its specified speed.

Although 3.06 Ghz sounds a bit high for a mobile processor.

wolfram said:
If it is a Mobile P4, and it's just reporting 1.6Ghz, it may be in a "power saving mode".

Hmm, you have a point as games such as F.E.A.R and Doom 3 can run well enough on my PC. But then again a game like BF2 won't even go over low detail without laggy consequences. I also have 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 6600.

However surely having a laptop processor in a Desktop (with a desktop mobo) isn't a good idea?

Laptops CPU's should be good enough for games (A Pentium M processor competed with P4's and A64's).

BF2 is a very demanding game. Maybe the 6600 can't play it properly on higher settings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back