3GB RAM
2.4Ghz AMD X2 processor
Asus A8N SLI Premium Motherboard
7600 GS XFX Dual DVI GFX Card
250GB Seagate HDD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
NOD32 Antivirus system

Ok problem:

It seems everytime i try to get my games (newer games only,ex: Hellgate London, GuildWars, Americas Army. diablo 2 still works) to connect to the internet to, well, you know, play, they never can connect. I checked if it was my network but my XP PC does just fine. Ive had this problem for some time now and am sick of paying for games that cant connect. I originally assumed it was a problem with my internet so i called. All, and I mean ALL of my ports are open. Courtesy of having a static IP address with my ISP which actually costs extra but its the only way ANYTHING will connect to my computer. I could find NO problems with the internet. So then i checked to see if it was the games, the tech support gave me same answer. "Something is keeping you from connecting." So Ive come to this conclusion so far:

Its either vista, or something that mightve gotten removed from the registry on accident using cleaner software, or something. But i really need help solving this problem. Thanks TechSpot.

Tim

Q1: I don't do any online PC gaming, but are you running thought a router to get online?
Q2: How about Vista firewall? Is it letting you run these apps online?
Q3: Did you ever played there games online before thought this pc successfully

Each game has its own set of port requirements. If you have a firewall running (and you should),
it can block both inbound and outbound connections.

To host games (or if your games send UDP inbound), then you will also need to learn how to
PORT FORWARD from your router to your system, but that's the last step AFTER
your firewall is properly configured.

All firewalls DENY (or block) access (at least inbound) by default.

If you want to test if the firewall is your issue, add these two rules AT THE BOTTOM
of the rule list
Deny inbound source-ip all tcp/udp log
Deny outbound dest-ip all tcp/udp log
now your firewall log will record these events.

Be aware, this also stops ALL internet access, so you will want these rules AT THE TOP of the list

Allow in/out tcp/udp port 53 #this is a dns request
Allow out tcp/udp port 25,80,110,143,443 #your browser and email

as the logs start showing your traffic, you can use google.com to query "port xxx"
to determine how xxx is used and if you want to allow it.

once you get control, just delete the last two rules :)

Ive turned off the vista firewall, and i dont have any other firewalls.

No use in port fowarding as there is no router and my ISP informs me that I have a completely open connection to the internet and none of my ports are blocked.

I have NOD32 which has a built in firewall and internet monitor, so its running, but for the sake of trying to get things to connect I disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back