Project Iris is an AR headset Google aims to ship in 2024

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: The metaverse is coming whether you like it or not and big tech companies are scrambling to develop strategies on how to get involved. While some are interested in the NFT side or crafting the fabric of the metaverse, others like Apple and Google are seemingly more engrossed with building hardware to interface with virtual worlds.

The latter is said to be working on an augmented reality headset codenamed Project Iris. Should all go according to plan, it’ll ship sometime in 2024, say two unnamed sources as reported by The Verge.

Sources told the publication the device, in development at a facility in the San Francisco bay area, looks like a pair of skiing goggles and will utilize outward-facing cameras. It’ll be powered by a custom Google processor and runs Android – at least, at this early stage of development.

It’s unclear if Google will brand it as a Pixel device, but as the publication understands it, the Pixel hardware team is involved to some degree. We can almost be certain that Google will avoid Glass branding, however.

Apple's long-rumored mixed reality headset has reportedly run into design challenges, and might not arrive until 2023 at the earliest.

The secret project is being led by Clay Bavor, who reports directly to CEO Sundar Pichai. Bavor has been involved in the company’s AR and VR efforts for years with Google Daydream and Cardboard. Roughly 300 people are actively working on Project Iris, and there are plans to eventually add hundreds more.

Permalink to story.

I don't see the VR craze hitting anytime soon. They've been trying for a number of years, but I think we're still a long ways out before it will take off in any meaningful way. It feels more like a novelty than anything else right now. I mean, who really wants to wear a heavy headset on their head for more than 15-20 minutes at a time? Also, I wear glasses and a large percentage of the population does too, so the whole headset idea is extra annoying and cumbersome for us.

I don't see the VR craze hitting anytime soon. They've been trying for a number of years, but I think we're still a long ways out before it will take off in any meaningful way. It feels more like a novelty than anything else right now. I mean, who really wants to wear a heavy headset on their head for more than 15-20 minutes at a time? Also, I wear glasses and a large percentage of the population does too, so the whole headset idea is extra annoying and cumbersome for us.
Except that the Quest 2 is outselling consoles and sales are through the roof for software. And you can wear your glasses while using it (or you can buy some prescription lenses if you really wanted to). You clearly haven't used it in any meaningful way.

As for cumbersome, it's fine as it is now, but if you want even better then future headsets will be much lighter and smaller because they'll use a new display technology.

While VR is enticeing it is certainly not the end all & be all of computers, at least not until it can be refined more. The smarter software companies understand that there is still a very large and cash heavy non-VR market out there and they are making software that can use either or both.

Except that the Quest 2 is outselling consoles and sales are through the roof for software. And you can wear your glasses while using it (or you can buy some prescription lenses if you really wanted to). You clearly haven't used it in any meaningful way.

As for cumbersome, it's fine as it is now, but if you want even better then future headsets will be much lighter and smaller because they'll use a new display technology.

Contact lenses are not shoes. There are many issues associated with them. Most people feel like they are in 2 numbers too small all the time. And that's just one of the common issues besides dry eyes.
Another one is cost. Lenses are not expensive, but maintenance is. It will run you , say, one 3070 per year in costs.

Contact lenses are not shoes. There are many issues associated with them. Most people feel like they are in 2 numbers too small all the time. And that's just one of the common issues besides dry eyes.
Another one is cost. Lenses are not expensive, but maintenance is. It will run you , say, one 3070 per year in costs.
Nobody said anything about contact lenses. You can buy the headset lenses for your prescription.
Something like this:
or

Back