PSA: FBI releases safety statement regarding fake batteries

AlphaX

Staff
A hot potato: With the current state of the economy, people are trying to find ways to save money. One cost-cutting measure is to purchase cheaper batteries. The FBI released a PSA regarding the risk of cheaper batteries, warning of potential counterfeit or even dangerous products being sold.

The FBI has a very simple but extremely important job within the United States, and occasionally even outside of the country. The agency is tasked with ensuring citizens are safe from potential threats or fraud, while also providing intelligence to the government when needed.

A possible harm to consumers became apparent to the FBI and the bureau was quick to release a PSA covering the hazard. As more products begin to require the use of batteries, people may look towards finding cheaper batteries in hopes of saving some money.

However, the FBI warns that people should not be looking for heavy discounts on batteries. The bureau claims alternative manufacturers are making fake batteries that can cause overheating, poor performance, device damage, or even complete product failure. The FBI covered the "dos and don'ts" when it comes to purchasing batteries, hoping to keep citizens safe from any harm.

The FBI notes to "always purchase batteries from legitimate and trusted sources," as those batteries have been tested thoroughly and are safe to use in any product. Many manufacturers will list reputable vendors for their devices. There is also a link within the PSA which details testing laboratories dedicated to these batteries.

Buying batteries from untrusted or third-party vendors can be risky, as these products are designed to look like legitimate batteries but aren't. It further details how to "avoid aftermarket batteries when possible because they may be dangerous," but emphasizes research and reading reviews if you believe the product could still be a legitimate item.

The final warning is to fully avoid batteries that:

• are not properly packaged
  • have misprinted or misspelled labels
  • have labels that peel off
  • do not have official manufacturer batch numbers

Consumers should compare prices between products before purchasing, claiming that heavily discounted batteries are likely counterfeit. It also urges buyers to familiarize themselves with specific, reputable companies. The PSA doesn't name any generic brands specifically, but some of the more commonly trusted brands include Duracell, Energizer, and Rayovac.

If you believe you've received or purchased counterfeit batteries, the FBI suggests reporting the activity to the payment service used for the transaction.

Permalink to story.

Great PR stunt but it's too late. Australia Sky News, Forbes and other news agencies have proven the FBI doesn't care about the American people and now 2-3 agents have been removed because of false/illegal actions/info which I won't get political since I called this a while back and got banned. You readers deep down know the truth. Also I quickly learned you folks hate Musk too.

As I get older I start to see through and you know what some of the things these tin foil hat people said they were kinda right!

The FBI has become a woke version of itself. But I would say that in all probability most of the Agents are good at what they do and have no control over what the management forces down their necks. Law enforcement is all we have between total chaos and peace. Besides our own personal protection at our homes.

TIP: Don't buy name brand batteries from Amazon, they will be forged knock offs.

What do they have to say about the LTO cells sold on ali express? :D
Well, I can tell you that I ordered a battery for my e-bike from Ali Express and... it works perfectly. This isn't a surprise since pretty much ALL e-bike batteries are from China. In fact, my e-bike itself is from China. The voltages were correct and it works with my bike's charger.

I refuse to buy anything from Amazon, regardless of what it is so I'm not worried. It's the people who don't care about ethics that buy from Amazon and if they get screwed, so be it. :laughing:
How the hell do you get screwed buying from Amazon?
You have 30 days to return everything!
Free returns, even if you just don't like it.

I don't know if they are "fake" or not, but I have had really bad luck with AAA batteries from Costco. Nearly every device I put AAA batteries in, the batteries "leaked" over time. They corroded badly and in a couple of cases, damaged the device. AA or D cells are fine but AAA don't seem to have a good shelf life and will corrode if left in the toy or device for too long.

Well, how many people are going to notice that the Duracells they bought last a couple of hours less than the real ones within 30 days? Maybe 1 or 2 out of 1,000?
Of course it's a good point, but from what I have been hearing the fakes are easy to spot. IF you know what to look for, or to even check.

Besides, these fake batteries are showing up all over. Dollar stores, bulk stores and even Walmart. It's not an Amazon only thing.
I can't but help but wonder how many stores will refund them.

Of course it's a good point, but from what I have been hearing the fakes are easy to spot. IF you know what to look for, or to even check.

Besides, these fake batteries are showing up all over. Dollar stores, bulk stores and even Walmart. It's not an Amazon only thing.
I can't but help but wonder how many stores will refund them.
Well, I buy the cheapest off-brand alkalines that I can find in dollar stores. They're usually branded "Chateau" or "Camelion" so at least I know I'm getting the "genuine article". I mean, who's going to knock-off the off-brands?

This is one of the reasons that I'm so grateful to not be a brand-hoar. :laughing:

FBI testing products for consumer safety?

Seriously??

What are Consumer Product Safety (cpsc.gov), FTC, and probably more than a few other government agencies, along with NGO's such as Underwriter Labs, Consumer Reports, etc, for??

I don't know if they are "fake" or not, but I have had really bad luck with AAA batteries from Costco. Nearly every device I put AAA batteries in, the batteries "leaked" over time. They corroded badly and in a couple of cases, damaged the device. AA or D cells are fine but AAA don't seem to have a good shelf life and will corrode if left in the toy or device for too long.
I have a "Battery daddy" storage box and all the Rayo-Vac alkaline "fusion" triple A batteries started leaking after a couple of months! DO NOT BUY!! The regular Rayo-Vac alkaline batteries don't have that problem. DO NOT BUY the "Fusion" ones!!!

Well, I buy the cheapest off-brand alkalines that I can find in dollar stores. They're usually branded "Chateau" or "Camelion" so at least I know I'm getting the "genuine article". I mean, who's going to knock-off the off-brands?

This is one of the reasons that I'm so grateful to not be a brand-hoar. :laughing:
I see the rechargeable 18650 3.7 volt advertised on amazon with 9900 MAh, do your research and it shows 3500MAh is about the max you can get.I know the ones claimed 9900 are fake!!!

The FBI has become a woke version of itself. But I would say that in all probability most of the Agents are good at what they do and have no control over what the management forces down their necks. Law enforcement is all we have between total chaos and peace. Besides our own personal protection at our homes.

TIP: Don't buy name brand batteries from Amazon, they will be forged knock offs.
the problem is that instead of quitting and going public they lower their heads and lick the boot

Back