PSU sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindObject

Are the PSU boxes sized differently? Or can I simply buy one and it will fit in my case?

My case is pretty standard btw.

yeah there are different sizes, usually the width is always really similar in size, its the length that changes mostly once you get above 600watts, sometimes lower if its a fanless psu.

Depends.......

Assuming you have an ATX form factor case and supply, Yes. The new supply will mount in the same bolt holes as the old one. In the case of Matx cases (I.E. standard Emachines), the new supplies might be a bit longer than the stock one, (reach further into the case). They should fit, but it will be close due to the fact that there are generally more wires on the aftermarket supply.

Power supplies are measured in h x w x l in millimeters. Once you have those dimensions, you still need to know if it is an ATX or a more recent form... as the new ones have more plugs and extra cables... but they should still work fine. Just suspend the extra cables in rubber bands..

PSU's are BASICALLY the same size, but not all of them will fit correctly in the boxes. Some of them won't fit because of the way the screws are set up. I upgraded my comp back in December and had to mod the enclosure so that the psu would fit and I could fasten the screws into it. I went from a 450 watt to a 700 watt psu.

Basiq........?

"Basiq" is made by Antec, it's their lowest model line of PSUs. For some reason Newegg has this for $69.95, the same price as the Antec 500 watt "Smartpower", which is technically the next step up product line. Reviews on PSUs are confusing at best. But a couple of Antec models have horrible reviews. My experience with Antec has been; I have a 350 watt Smartpower, is has a high frequency whine after about one year of use, and won't restart after I kill the surge suppressor. (I need to hold the power button in for 30 seconds, then it restarts. I also have a Smartpower 400 (got with a case) and the +1.5 volt is only 1.264 volt, about a 20% error. Other people have different opinions and different stories to tell. As I said it's their bottom line of PSUs, and myself I'd try to hold out for something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back