PSVR 2 said to feature 4K resolution, haptic feedback, and foveated rendering

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: Claims that Sony’s virtual reality headset for the PS5, expected to be called the PSVR 2, will be light years ahead of its predecessor have been circulating for a while. Now, rumored specs are supporting that boast: 4K resolution, motorized haptic feedback, inside-out tracking, and foveated rendering are all said to feature in the next-gen device.

The alleged specs come from UploadVR, which cites “reliable sources.” Assuming they’re accurate, the PSVR 2’s 2000 x 2040 per-eye resolution would put it ahead of the Oculus Quest 2—the most popular VR headset among Steam survey participants—but slightly lower than the HP Reverb G2, which leads the resolution race with 2160 x 2160 per-eye.

The PSVR 2 is said to include a motor that offers DualSense-style vibrations. Developers can use this to control haptic feedback, though one would hope it’s subtle enough not to shake wearers’ heads too violently. Such a feature could be fun—or horrible—in fighting games, however.

One claim that we’ve heard before is that headset will offer gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering, which means only the part of an image that a user is looking at gets rendered at a high quality, thereby improving the loading times and overall performance. The headset also comes with a lens separation adjustment dial that lets wearers adjust the spacing based on their pupillary distance.

The PSVR 2 will connect to a PS5 via USB-C and use onboard cameras to track the position of the new controllers, making the setup a lot simpler than the current version.

This all sounds pretty exciting, but when will the PSVR 2 arrive? No time soon, unfortunately. Sony back in October said it wouldn’t launch until 2022 at the earliest, and with the chip shortage expected to last well into next year, its development could be delayed.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully they resolved the motion sickness/nausea. I tried on the first gen PSVR and felt like I wanted to puke afterwards.

It's a shame if it really is using a wired connection. My Quest 2 has no problem playing games off my PC via a wireless connection. It performs just as good as using the hardwired option.

Once you play without being tethered you don't want to go back. Cordless is the way to go. The Quest 2's built in battery isn't the best for long play sessions, but a usb battery in the pocket with a long cord solves that, and some decent wired ear buds makes the experience awesome.

Sony doesn't need to do much to massively improve PSVR which is nothing more than a gimmick with its awful controls and external camera based tracking forcing you to face forward toward the camera at all times. It is a Joke of a VR experience. The Quest 2 blew up as it really has gone to show how great VR can be at a low price, being able to act as a standalone device as well as connect to a PC over a wireless connection.

Sony really needs to focus on good controls this time around, proper tracking is a must.

The PS5 is plenty fast for a good VR experience.

Last edited:
Hopefully they resolved the motion sickness/nausea. I tried on the first gen PSVR and felt like I wanted to puke afterwards.

As a kid I remember when I used to try reading a book while sitting in the car it would give me a headache and I'd start to get motion sickness. I'd stop reading at that point and sit back and relax. After numerous times I eventually started getting used to reading while moving in the car and eventually it wouldn't bother me.

It's just that thing while sitting stationary in a car, looking at a book and out of the peripheral vision seeing everything passing by that would eventually make me feel sick. Doing the task over and over again eventually got me to a point where it didn't bother me.

Same thing applies to VR sickness. You're adjusting how your vision naturally sees things and when your body has to deal with it and try to compensate you feel sick. You need to slowly work at it....it also may be a thing that you never get used to.

All that is rendered meaningless if its still wired though.

Sony should've focused on making it wireless then when thats solved build its specs up to whatever price its gonna be sold at.

and since its sony, it'll cost a pretty penny, and needing that ps5 too, if it released at psvr1 price points youre looking at 800 to open the door.

and they already pimped out astrobot to show off a controller of all things, he was the best thing psvr1 had!

I’ve been using oculus quest two and I’m really loving it. I’m fairly certain that oculus quest three will try to push for 4K visuals but I’m absolutely amazed at what they pulled off with oculus quest two. PS4 VR caused me motion sickness and headaches using it for a short time but oculus quest two is worlds better. I will give the new PlayStation 5VR a chance.

Usb type c, I wonder if this will be PC compatible, it would make sense for them to double dip 2 markets if they can to broaden the appeal

It was fake refresh rate that would cause problems combined with a weak gpu. It honestly was at the end of the day a bad decision to release it early, Sony should have banked on a headset that could do it all, wireless this gen, with an ability to be used with a PC, or they could have partners with oculus to create something that also had stand alone capabilities.

As a kid I remember when I used to try reading a book while sitting in the car it would give me a headache and I'd start to get motion sickness. I'd stop reading at that point and sit back and relax. After numerous times I eventually started getting used to reading while moving in the car and eventually it wouldn't bother me.

It's just that thing while sitting stationary in a car, looking at a book and out of the peripheral vision seeing everything passing by that would eventually make me feel sick. Doing the task over and over again eventually got me to a point where it didn't bother me.

Same thing applies to VR sickness. You're adjusting how your vision naturally sees things and when your body has to deal with it and try to compensate you feel sick. You need to slowly work at it....it also may be a thing that you never get used to.
It's similar to vertigo the only real way to stop It is to continually experience it till your body can adjust and cool down it's homeostatic reaction.

Unfortunately, the motion sickness is not from the devices but from humans. The brain senses that we are moving from our vision, but our legs are not actually following suit. This will cause the motion sickness and there's no way to overcome it other than continue using it until the brain is trained.

"2000 x 2040 per-eye resolution" IS NOT 4K. WTF? You made the same blunder in the story about HTC's new "5K" headset, which of course is nowhere near 5K.

Stop regurgitating these lies, or take "tech" out of your name. It's embarrassing.

It will only transfer data and or charge, to be compatible it has to be 3.1 or newer compliant where it can pass a video signal using display port so you can plug it into your gpu for direct video, rather than oculus quest 1/2 grade super compressed data stream leaving pretty bad artifacting.

Back