PUBG on Xbox One X will be locked at 30fps even though it can run at 60

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

The Xbox version of PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds launches next week, and console owners are excited to get their hands on it. Excitement intensified went it was reported in the magazine Games that developers had achieved a 60fps frame rate.

According to PlayerUnknown himself, Brendan Greene, they had gotten the game to run at 60fps on the Xbox One X, but could only squeeze 30-40fps out of the standard console. He indicated that they are still trying to get it up to 60fps, but it looks like it won’t happen before launch.

“Definitely on Xbox One X, 60FPS. On Xbox One, we’re not sure,” Greene told Games. “We may have to limit it at 30FPS, maybe, but the last time I saw it, it was running at about 30 to 40. We’re still constantly improving it so, you know, the aim is to get to 60.”

I have great faith that we’ll get there.

After the article was published, it was being reported that PUBG would run at 60fps on the XboneX. However PlayerUnknown clarified this issue in a tweet a few days ago saying that 30fps would be the frame rate for both Xbox versions.

He did state that he has faith that they could eventually achieve that target down the road, but for now, the game will be locked at 30fps. It has been argued that players with a faster frame rate have an advantage over others, and Bluehole likely wants to keep the playing field level between the two versions of the console.

PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has seen incredible success on Steam and hopes that popularity will carry over into the console market. PUBG launches on Xbox One and One X on December 12.

Permalink to story.

Since it isn't mentioned in the article I point out that this is still in Early Accesss on Steam. It isn't a finished game.

My GTX 1080 Ti struggles to keep 80fps at 3440x1440, or 100fps at 2560x1080... and the game looks pretty bad, of course an Xbox is unlikely to exceed 30fps. Luckily the game is addictive AF.

Poor guys on standard xbox one gonna be smoked by X players once they get access to 60fps lol

All kiddin aside there will be a slight advantage for a player with high end ability if they are playing 60fps vs 30. But I also assume those hardcore players would stick with PC or xbox one X anyway

Can I also say im jeaous no PS4 port? They are missing out on the largest share of the console market being an xbox exclusive.

The reason xbox one X players dont have access to 60 FPS is because xbox one players don't have 60 fps. Neither is getting 60 FPS until both versions can run at 60 fps.

Ya I figured that too, 60fps on regular xbox one gonna have to be ultra low settings. Or it will never happen at all

Last edited:
This is pretty shitty. The whole point of the X1X is to play games at a high visual fidelity and higher performance. Take for instance The Last of Us on Playstation. The game originally came out for PS3 and was later remastered for PS4 and PS4 Pro. People on PS4 and PS4 Pro can still play multiplayer against each other, despite the Pro having a lot better performance.

Guys the real advantage isn't a 30fps difference.
It's going to be the resolution difference.
Xbox one x players will be able to spot base players much quicker and from further away.

Bluehole PUBG are shooting themselves in the foot with this decision as standard Xbox one owners will buy the game no matter what as 30fps is all they can get regardless, however since it’s already been verified, and confirmed the XboxOneX can definitely run the game 60fps, and Microsoft has already stated there’s no parity requirements promising XboxOneX owners their new $499 dollar investment will not be held back or limited by the standard Xbox one, and so mark my words XboxOneX owners will not buy this game unless, and or until they allow the XboxOneX to run 60fps as we all paid a premium price for a premium console, and I know myself, and many other XboxOneX gamers I’ve spoken with in forms stated very clearly that unfortunately we won’t be purchasing PUBG at 30fps as that’s not gonna happen, and so BLUEHOLE PUBG are essentially alienating 2+ million XboxOneX gamers around the world who’ve bought the new system, and while I’m sure some XboxOneX owners will buy the game regardless I would guess that the vast majority will simply buy something else or continue playing other games as basically every single online shooter for XboxOneX runs 60fps accept Destiny 2 which is another game I won’t buy because it’s limted to 30fps when the XboxOneX can absolutely run 60fps no problems, and so yea if PUBG was smart, and business oriented he would allow XboxOneX gamers to have 60fps as I don’t wanna hear this cry baby *** bullshit from standard Xbox one gamers as the reality is while a small tiny fraction of games might have parity right now the fact is going forward there’s not gonna be parity, and so get used to it because those gamers which upgraded, and or invested in the premium console will be getting the premium experience that’s the way it is, and if standard Xbox one owners don’t like it that’s too bad grow up, and go make the upgrade, and if you don’t wanna spend the extra money that’s your choice but don’t expect those who did to be limited, and or restricted because standard Xbox one gamers wanna *****, cry, and moan about having slower frame rates as that’s too bad ..............

I would suspect PUBG developer will get the hint as there’s gonna be a huge backlash from XboxOneX gamers as well be making a huge stink with both PUBG, and also well voice out anger, and frustration at Microsoft themselves as they’re responsible for ensuring developers utilize the XboxOneX to its full potential as we didn’t upgrade to be on the same damn 30fps playing field as there would be no point to have upgraded without the extra graphics, and performance capabilities as that’s why we bought the XboxOneX, and Microsoft will also hurt future sales of the XboxOneX if gamers realize there’s gonna be some games being intentionally held back as there’s no excuse.........

I believe PUBG will end up being 60fps for the XboxOneX either at launch, and or a few weeks later at worse case scenario once they realize XboxOneX gamers aren’t gonna buy a game that’s intentionally holding back their investment from its full potential as that’s uncalled for, and extremely shady practices on behalf of both Microsoft, and PUBG BLUEHOLE .............

Can I also say im jeaous no PS4 port? They are missing out on the largest share of the console market being an xbox exclusive.
Exclusive for now. The only reason that they started with the Xbox is that the port is much easier than porting to PS4. I suspect they will eventually get around to working on a PS4 port once the console big bucks start pouring in.
Poor guys on standard xbox one gonna be smoked by X players once they get access to 60fps lol
The reason xbox one X players dont have access to 60 FPS is because xbox one players don't have 60 fps. Neither is getting 60 FPS until both versions can run at 60 fps.
That is correct. Greene said that he didn't want to create a situation [on the Xbox] where one group of players [XboneX] had an advantage over others [XB1]. The only way to do that is to lock both at 30fps.

He also said that they had gotten XB1 as high as 40fps. Certainly, once they can get it running consistently at 40, they'll lock them both there, and so on.

I don't think they'll reach a consistent 60fps on XB1 without making huge sacrifices elsewhere, but they're going to try. I just don't think the hardware can handle 60 without giving up something game-breaking elsewhere.

Exclusive for now. The only reason that they started with the Xbox is that the port is much easier than porting to PS4. I suspect they will eventually get around to working on a PS4 port once the console big bucks start pouring in.

That is correct. Greene said that he didn't want to create a situation [on the Xbox] where one group of players [XboneX] had an advantage over others [XB1]. The only way to do that is to lock both at 30fps.

He also said that they had gotten XB1 as high as 40fps. Certainly, once they can get it running consistently at 40, they'll lock them both there, and so on.

I don't think they'll reach a consistent 60fps on XB1 without making huge sacrifices elsewhere, but they're going to try. I just don't think the hardware can handle 60 without giving up something game-breaking elsewhere.

Can I ask why you think the xbox one is easier to develope for? The are both made with the same cpu and gpu, just different speeds for all versions.

Can I ask why you think the xbox one is easier to develope for? The are both made with the same cpu and gpu, just different speeds for all versions.
Just to be clear, I didn't say it was easier to "develop for." I said it was easier to port [PC games] to Xbox One than to port them to the PS4. I must also say that I have never developed or ported on either console, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm right, but here's my reasoning.

If the PC were a duck, then the XB1 would be a goose, and the PS4 would be — well, it might as well be a jar of marmalade. Microsoft makes Windows. Microsoft makes Xboxes. The Xbox OS has Windows 10 as a core. Porting from one to the other should be fairly straightforward for the most part. Hardware is the only consideration, but since PC games already take a widely varying range of hardware configurations into account anyway, it shouldn't be that difficult to figure it out. In fact, since they know the configuration they are dealing with they can optimize for the Xbox rather than coding for a wider range.

On the contrary, the PS4 OS is nothing like Windows, so not only does the developer have to worry about hardware, there is the software environment, memory locations, etc. that are completely different from PC.

That's where I was coming from. I just imagine that for a PC developer, the Xbox environment would seem much more familiar than the PS4.

Back