Puerto Rico has been hit with another island-wide blackout

Polycount

Puerto Rico residents haven't had it easy lately. Back in September, Hurricane Maria tore across the island, knocking out power island-wide and leaving dozens dead or wounded.

While the US government and companies like Tesla have successfully stepped in to help Puerto Rico get its electrical grid back up and running, 10 percent of the island's citizens were still without power as of February 2018.

Unfortunately, bad luck has struck Puerto Rico again. According to an Associated Press report, the territory is suffering yet another island-wide blackout. This time, the outage was reportedly caused by an excavator "accidentally [downing]" a transmission line.

It's certainly troubling that damage to a single power line can cause an island-wide blackout but there's good news this time around - Puerto Rico officials say it will only take "24 to 36" hours to restore power to the majority of affected citizens.

For now, Puerto Rico's government is prioritizing the restoration of power to critical locations like hospitals, emergency service buildings, airports and water pumping systems. This is a smart move, given the fact that many of these locations are currently relying on backup generators to function.

Permalink to story.

Man oh man ...... just goes to show the lack of extra lines to divert power from different directions; of course, that usually takes years to develop. Wonder of the operator of that equipment was hurt? Either by electricity or all the angry residents!

Man oh man ...... just goes to show the lack of extra lines to divert power from different directions; of course, that usually takes years to develop. Wonder of the operator of that equipment was hurt? Either by electricity or all the angry residents!
why would they be angry this seems to be the norm for them down there.

Hospitals and any power sensitive activity is REQUIRED to have a backup generator. Come on, we are in 21th century. Also, that excavator guy needs to retire or change its job.

I would be more concerned about how their electrical components are being made and where they are coming from.
If one main power line goes out it shouldn't bring down a block of residents and businesses.
I feel sorry for those people down in south america and they have a stupid goverment that refuses to do right.

In my city there has been a big move as long as I can remember named "Call Before You Dig" so I haven't heard of stuff like this here for a long time.
FWIW Puerto Rico is part of the USA (not continental USA though), perhaps @MaikuTech I may have misunderstood the last line of your post.

Tesla or equivilent powerwalls and solar roof tiles should be standard on every house worldwide mainly government funded paid back via surplus electricity or tax.

There was a monkey in the excavator not a human #fakenews
absolutely. Not only are trained monkeys cheaper than unionized labour, they are also cheaper than automation and can be trained for new tasks. They also work long hours for no pay (just bananas and a dorm room with the other monkeys).

The people of PR are American citizens, yet our government won't do enough to help. Then again, that is par for the course.

North Korea can make false threats to nuke Guam and the US government loses their minds, but when a hurricane knocks out power to another US territory, we drag our feet to help people ACTUALLY in need.

Back