Python, 32Bit, Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 (integrated graphics) - considering laptop upgrade

V

voarsh

Hi.

I'm playing a custom game.

It's written in Python and the version of Python is 2.7. Because of technical reasons the Python interpreter must be 32Bit to work with the game.

I face a few issues when playing the game:
  • My current laptop has the Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 - 128 MB of Dedicated Video Memory but the system has a total of 5980 MBs of available video memory, 5852 MB Shared System Memory. 12 GBs RAM in total.
  • Python 32Bit has a limitation of 2(?) GBs of RAM that can be allocated to it? (need some confirmation.)
  • The game crashes when the program exceeds about 1.3 GBs of RAM (taskmgr confirms 1.3 GBs before crashing) with OUT OF MEMORY errors. I cannot be completely sure if it's the Python element or my video card.
I guess my question is, is it worth buying a laptop with 4 GBs of Dedicated Video Memory (GDDR5) with say the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M graphics card?

Obviously, I'd not ONLY play this particular game but would be nice to have it open for more than 10/20 minutes without it crashing. :)
If perhaps the game developers made the game easier on the RAM things would be OK (if I upgraded). It is hard to tell if the memory error(s) are to do with the video card or the RAM. Or both?

FYI: I played a similar-ish game in the past with lower specs than the laptop I am using but it used DirectX instead of OpenGL (for the current game I'm playing) and would not crash with memory issues so quickly...

Any thoughts would be appreciated on my issue.

Thanks.

"It is hard to tell if the memory error(s) are to do with the video card or the RAM." - memtest86 in downloads section - run continuous overnight.

"laptop has the Intel(R) HD Graphics 520" - is laptop upgradable?

Back