[Q] why Drivers matter so much for specific games?

I find it hard to understand,

when a new big title AAA game get released we see driver updates to handle better hardware resources for that specific game . I'm not talking about SLI\Crossfire, but basic performance optimization.

My question is, why is that required? does the driver's software identifies the specific game process and utilize better the graphic card for that specific game ?

Unfortunately, there isn't a real straightforward answer to this question, at least in the way that I'm reading it. It can get very complex very quickly for the uninitiated. The reason why the driver matters is because it's what ultimately handles the way your GPU operates during certain tasks. This I believe you already understand. The point of game-specific updates to a GPU driver is so that it can perform better under non-generic use cases. This is where your driver will detect what application is being ran, and will perform accordingly based on the optimizations made in the update.

With that said, there is a lot of dialog surrounding application-specific driver updates, which I won't get into here. From what I understand though, most driver updates aren't usually application specific, even if the vendor reports it as so. It's more likely that a application exposed a flaw in the way the driver handles certain tasks, and the driver developer makes updates to correct it. So, anytime the driver comes into contact with that particular use case, it'll perform better. However, that performance improvement isn't restricted to just that application, but to the use case itself.

Back