Quake II remaster now available on all platforms with enhanced visuals, AI, and multiplayer...

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? The original Quake received an impressive remaster at QuakeCon two years ago for its 25th anniversary. Now it's the sequel's turn. Quake II just received a more extensive revision to its graphics, AI, multiplayer, and accessibility features. Those who own it on digital PC storefronts receive the update as a free patch.

A remastered version of Quake II is now available digitally for $10 on PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series consoles. The PC version is available on Steam, GOG, Microsoft Store, and Game Pass. Physical editions from Limited Run Games are coming soon. The developers have also released the game's source code. Information about the remaster has continually leaked since late last month, starting with a listing from South Korea's rating board.

Like the 2021 remaster of the first Quake, the new version of Quake II improves various aspects of the game while remaining faithful to the original 1997 release. It includes additions to graphics, gameplay, user interface, and content. In addition to the original campaign, the re-release contains both expansion packs and introduces an all-new episode from MachineGames. The new campaign, titled Call of the Machine, includes 28 levels and a multiplayer map. The bundle also includes Quake 64.

The new version of Quake II supports online, LAN, and split-screen multiplayer and co-op across all platforms with cross-play. Split-screen allows up to eight players on Xbox Series and PC and four players for other platforms. Users with Nintendo and PlayStation controllers can use gyro aiming.

Players can complete all campaigns in solo or co-op action. New mechanics include save files, a respawn system, a pointing system for communication, and an optional lives system for an additional challenge. Campaign enemies and multiplayer bots should display improved decision-making due to the remaster's new AI system. They can better navigate environments and determine how best to attack players. Furthermore, modders receive improved tools for incorporating bots into their creations.

Enhancements to graphics include new lighting effects, improved shadows, ambient occlusion, better materials, smoother animations, and more. The new visuals and split-screen mode have raised the minimum system requirements, so you'll want at least a GeForce GTX 650 Ti or Radeon HD 7750 to play the game, although PC users can revert to the original version. The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series versions can reach 4K and 120Hz while all other consoles maintain 60fps.

The remaster also adds many accessibility features, including high contrast, an alternate typeface, the ability to read text chat aloud, voice chat transcription, message display customizations, alternate control settings, and more. An optional compass can help players navigate campaign levels.

Permalink to story.

Do the single player cheat codes work?
Sometimes, end of the day, I just like to blow sh*t up!
It sounds like it's just a patch to the original game, so the codes should still work unless they intentionally patched them out.

As a big fan of Quake II RTX, I was probably the fastest one here. Following this article, I quickly got the game on Steam, and I have already finished the first 3 levels of the updated Quake, so I know what I'm writing here about...

The update does look better than the original RTX edition, but not that much. Noticeable changes are better brightness and change in some characters' behavior, not sure if for the better, they are just harder to kill now, and are causing more damage. If you are already playing Quake II RTX, the change isn't anything revolutionary, it is a fairly small update as above.

Honestly if this is like the RTX version...no thanks; I don't enjoy my Quake II looking like it has vaseline smeared all over it.

As a big fan of Quake II RTX, I was probably the fastest one here. Following this article, I quickly got the game on Steam, and I have already finished the first 3 levels of the updated Quake, so I know what I'm writing here about...

The update does look better than the original RTX edition, but not that much. Noticeable changes are better brightness and change in some characters' behavior, not sure if for the better, they are just harder to kill now, and are causing more damage. If you are already playing Quake II RTX, the change isn't anything revolutionary, it is a fairly small update as above.

It does run WAAAY better than Quake II RTX.

Honestly if this is like the RTX version...no thanks; I don't enjoy my Quake II looking like it has vaseline smeared all over it.

This isn't like RTX version, you can actually run it at native resolutions without a supercomputer, and if you disable bloom it can look as sharp as it always did.

I've tried playing it. Nothing special. There's only so much you can do with an aging engine source code, I guess. Yeah, there're some shadow and lighting enhancements here and there, but... **shrugs**

I do like the native gamepad support with the vibration feedback when shooting, though.

Back