Quantum Break on PC requires Windows 10, DirectX 12

Scorpus

Staff member

Previously an Xbox One exclusive, the hotly anticipated Quantum Break will also be coming to PC, with both versions set to be released on April 5th. As a nice bonus for people with both systems, Microsoft revealed that anyone who pre-orders the Xbox One version will get the Windows 10 version for free.

Quantum Break, which was announced alongside the Xbox One nearly three years ago, is a third-person action-adventure shooter from Remedy Entertainment and Microsoft Studios, who previously worked on Alan Wake. In the game, players take control of Jack Joyce, who has time manipulation powers that can be used (along with guns) to defeat enemies.

The game has been developed using a new engine called Northlight, which uses DirectX 12's new capabilities. As such, DirectX 12 is a requirement to play the game on PC, which makes it only compatible with Windows 10; gamers still using Windows 7 will not be able to run the title.

Remedy has revealed the system requirements for Quantum Break, and it's going to take a fairly beefy system to run the game at its maximum settings.

Recommended Minimum
CPU Intel Core i7 4790 4.0 GHz
AMD "equivalent"
Intel Core i5-4460 2.7 GHz
AMD FX-6300
GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
6 GB of VRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
AMD Radeon R7 260X
2 GB of VRAM
RAM 16 GB 8 GB
OS Windows 10 64-bit. Requires DirectX 12 support.
Storage 55 GB

Quantum Break is a single-player game, so you'll be able to share saves between the Xbox One and Windows 10 versions, but there is no cross-play support.

Permalink to story.

It requires a minimum of 16GB of RAM but 8GB is recommended? I think I'll take the rest of specs with a teaspoon of salt. If it plays smoothly on a feeble, asthmatic XBone then it should, in theory, play smoothly on a potato.
I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if PC gamers are dished up with sloppy, barely playable (if that) crappy console port. If the publishers can't even get the PC specs right, how on earth can we expect them to get the port right.

Not gonna be very popular on PC I presume. Can anyone recall the title of the game(s) that were Vista only? I know MS made some noise back then about DX10 pros, but some time later they were cracked to work on XP? The same goes for this one. Three years in developement, long before MS thought of DX12.

Not gonna be very popular on PC I presume. Can anyone recall the title of the game(s) that were Vista only? I know MS made some noise back then about DX10 pros, but some time later they were cracked to work on XP? The same goes for this one. Three years in developement, long before MS thought of DX12.
Halo 2 and Shadowrun

Halo 2 and Shadowrun

And bioshock.

Halo 2 and Shadowrun

And bioshock.

Fairly confident that we ran Bioshock on XP from day one.

Lol... it's meant for XBOX, much like Halo 2 was.... making it available for Windows 10 is just another way of getting Windows 10 sales up...

The thing is, there's really no reason to be angry about this... The whole point of MS (or Sony or Nintendo) in developing awesome games is to push their platform... Why do you think awesome Mario games come out right when a new gen Nintendo gets released?

Don't see anyone bashing Nintendo saying, "Really, the new Mario won't work on my Wii? I have to buy a Wii-U? NINTENDO IS EVIL!!!"

Really bad decision to make this DX 12 only. Not only does that restrict your possible user base to less than 25% of the market, it also isn't the kind of game that will get people to go to windows 10.

People don't like it when you try to pry them from their favorite platform with a buzzsaw.

I'll buy this game, it looks awesome and thank God they are using DX12 only, it's about time the new api is used on the new games. In other story, if you like Pc gaming, you are going to have Windows 10, period.

AMD "equivalent"

LOL
lol I laughed at that too. Exactly what is the AMD equivalent of a 4790k???? the 4790K is a beast and STILL consumes less power than anything AMD offers.:p

Just because there isn't an equivalent now means there won't ever be? I'm pretty sure they intend to sell copies well beyond the current generation of cpus. Zen is right around the corner.

Well I won't be buying it, I'm not upgrading to win10.
your loss. Win10 is great.:) I'm sure people said the same thing about Win7 and wanted to stay on winXP. Just go back to winXP and never worry about upgrading dude..
What is great about it? Apart from DX12? Serious question... I've read loads of articles and cannot for the life of me think of something that compels me to want it or think it is an upgrade.

Back