Quark Express across a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Why do I find the weird ones?
2 networked systems, both running XP (1 on SPI, the other SPII), Both running Quark Express v8. Files saved and closed on the local machine in a shared folder are not available to the other machine. The error message is 'file not available (file open)' No offer or a read only version. Turning it all off sometimes clears the error. It only happens with this app - all other apps are fine. Changing to another spreadsheet is not an option,
Any ideas anyone?

Sounds like you want both systems to SHARE a folder so the other system can
access the files.
I assume your other shares are working correctly???

Hi Jobeard
The files are in shared folders which contain other files which share quite happily and in both directions. I am convinced it is a problem with Quark files - and not all of them. Cannot see any differences in the ones that will open and the ones that won't.

Check the NTFS Security permissions on the files
go to the folder, right click the file -> properties -> Security Tab

Ususally you get three entries
  • administrators (group)
  • UserName
  • System
Click Add, enter Users and then Click Check names which will format the name
for NTFS

select the new Users Group name and give it Full Control

Click apply

An alternate suggestion. I have OE on two computers that are networked. I do not 'share' the folders. But by leaving a copy of the email on the server, I can download the same email to either-or both- of the computers. If you have access this way, you don't need to set up 'sharing':

Open OE> Tools> Accounts> Mail> Properties> Advanced tab> Delivery section: CHECK 'leave copy of mail on server'> CHECK 'remove mail from server when mail is deleted from Deleted Items box'> Apply> OK.

The reason for the second check is that the server has a limit as too how many email it will hold. By deleting the Deleted Items box contents periodically, you clear the mail from the server. This works well for me. There are no separate accounts set up for this and I can access the same email on either computer.

Check the NTFS Security permissions on the files
go to the folder, right click the file -> properties -> Security Tab

Ususally you get three entries
  • administrators (group)
  • UserName
  • System
Click Add, enter Users and then Click Check names which will format the name
for NTFS

select the new Users Group name and give it Full Control

Click apply

Thanks Jobeard - will give that a try but I am pretty confident that each machine has only one user account and that has admin status...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back