Question about a new Linksys Wireless-G Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasio-

Alright, my old router died due to a power outage yesterday and i purchased a new one today. I set it all up, and the internet works on the main computer and my laptop. The laptop asked for my WPA-Personal key, but my other computer (about a year and a half old) will not connect, it sais it could be out of range (it's not though). When i went to set up the connection in advanced properties, it only gives the options Disabled and WEP for the WEP/WPA key.. My laptop gives WPA-PSK (the one i'm using) aswell as all the other choices. When I tried putting the key as a normal WEP key it obviously wouldn't work, saying it had to be 5 or 13 ASCII characters, etc. Do I have to make a regular WEP key for my internet to connect, or can I update something on my computer to get it to recognize the WPA-Personal key.

Thank you and sorry for the difficult to understand issue..,
Ross Lepera.

The network adapter in your other computer only supports WEP. Unfortunately, this can only be remedied by buying a new wireless card, as the encryption is not software upgradeable.

You'll need to set up your router and your laptop to do WEP, or buy a new wireless card for the other computer so you can do WPA. Wireless networks cannot do WEP and WPA at the same time on the same network.

I am a bit confused. Is your 'main computer' and the 'other computer' that you are having problems with, the same computer and is it a desktop? If the answer to both is Yes, then wouldn't it make sense to have the desktop connected to the router via a cable? Of course, I may have totally misunderstood your situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back